Diving at Beaches Negril Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sandals/ Beaches has an ultra conservative dive program you will be limited by the lowest certification of the group. If everyone is AOW or better they will go to an advanced site otherwise it’s a 40’ or 60’ limit. Normally around a 30 minute dive. They will call it when the first diver hits 1500psi . Boats are not normally crowded. My only real pet peeve is they always try the up sell on courses, since the diving is included free of charge it’s kinda expected. There is a Sandals / Beaches dive group on Facebook that’s pretty good.

Sandals/ Beaches has an ultra conservative dive program you will be limited by the lowest certification of the group. If everyone is AOW or better they will go to an advanced site otherwise it’s a 40’ or 60’ limit. Normally around a 30 minute dive. They will call it when the first diver hits 1500psi . Boats are not normally crowded. My only real pet peeve is they always try the up sell on courses, since the diving is included free of charge it’s kinda expected. There is a Sandals / Beaches dive group on Facebook that’s pretty good.

I've been to two different Sandals, Whitehouse and Ohco Rios, and neither did that. Advanced Divers could do advanced dives, though it didn't happen every day and dives were called at 800 PSI. 60 foot dives tend to run about 30 minutes, but the shallower dives would be in the one hour range. IIRC, each dive operation is a separate program. Where and when did you go?

Having dove Sandals Negril and Couples Ocho Rios I can say hands down Couples is better.

Sandals they took us out and dropped divers at training, aow, ow dives each trip. Boat left circled and scooped folks up one group at a time. Dives called about 800-1000psi. Plenty to see. The guides loved harassing the marine life for the attention of the guests. After each dive it was a 20 minute ride back in with the sales pitch for upsell and asking for tips. At shore you dropped your gear over the boat and waded back in to shore. Each trip is a single tank. They cleaned the boat and you could come back for the next trip.
Saw several cool coral and rock formations, a nurse shark family, wrecks, turtles, a plane. 4 days diving 2x a day different crew many days. Never did know my name or anything. Called my wine boss lady which she hated.

Couples boat went out they asked about dive site preferences and a decision was made. Boat dropped us and stayed put. Usually had a line with a bucket at 15'. Dives usually called about 800-1000psi. Plenty to see the guides took time to point things out. Saw lots of hidden creatures. They did have spears for lion fish and we got to take a shot at getting some. Other then one instance they generally left the marine life alone. Picked up a sea slug to show a aow training diver. After the dive it was a jovial conversation on the ride back. You get to shore and wade the remainder in but leave your gear. They clean the boat and if your diving again come back on with a fresh tank. Did night dives as well. Only asked once when scheduling my dives about extra training upgrade to aow. Said no thanks never mentioned again. Never asked for a tip or even suggested they wanted one. They went out of the way to find me a huge sea turtle on my birthday and they ran on the beach to tell my wife when we came back. Called her wifey the whole trip when they saw her at breakfast or on the resort. Interesting thing is we never told them it was my birthday. They took initiative and made it special.

Bigger difference in the feel of the place.

Couples is hanging out in Jamacia with friends and family while grandma cooks for you.

Sandles is a exclusive resort with servants and servers doing a job and you better not forget it.

---
Couples does have family resorts ijs.

I've been to two different Sandals, Whitehouse and Ohco Rios, and neither did that. Advanced Divers could do advanced dives, though it didn't happen every day and dives were called at 800 PSI. 60 foot dives tend to run about 30 minutes, but the shallower dives would be in the one hour range. IIRC, each dive operation is a separate program. Where and when did you go?
Been to Ochi, SMB x3, and St Lucia( they have an awesome dive team)

I did not read all the responses. It does look like you are a new diver. Diving in Jamaica is, well, less than stellar, they dynamited the reef and destroyed them. They are very slowly coming back. Sure there are videos that show incredible sights. This is the exception not the rule. I love Jamaica, it was a great vacation just not a great dive vacation. Go to have fun and if you dive it’s bonus points.

Just got back from a week at Beaches Negril. Diving was included but we only did 4 dives all week because there just wasn't much to see and it wasn't worth time away from my non-diving family.

Dive op was pretty bad since they are not working for tips (resort policy). I tipped anyway, but had to do it furtively away from ubiquitous cameras. I probably should not have because they didn't really deserve it. Two of the dives had no briefing at all and the others had rushed, bad briefings. Really nice catamaran dive boat that moors so close you almost walk onto it from shore, but the boat was packed with divers of all different skill and experience levels, lots of students. DMs only paid attention to students. That's normally ok for me but I'd like to know something about the dive plan or to know which DM is leading my group before I'm giant-striding into the water. DMs ignored us during the dive, even though some inexperienced divers were struggling to stay neutral and down with the group, except to frequently stop and check air. Dives were 25-30 minutes and I finished every dive with 1500-2100 PSI.

I have dove at Ochi,SMB, and SGSL. SGSL was the only one where the diving was anything decent .

I dove Sandals Negril in 2014 and received my first cert with them. I found the instruction complete, the staff friendly , and everyone patient. My lovely bride had a panic attack during the pool portion. They spent extra time with her and ultimately refunded her fee without issue when she couldn't breathe without a mask.

For a first time diver, it cemented my desire to continue diving as we saw numerous reefs, turtles, rays, and various fish. I dove Beaches Turks & Caicos in June and while the walls and coral were fantastic, we were NOT impressed with the dive team in the least. We might as well been on a cattle car. Their dealing with defective rental equipment bordered on negligent.

We found the service, food, and location at Sandals Negril to be fantastic and we often remember that trip favorably. Looking back at the video and photos I can see where, compared to my only other tropical dive site (TCI), Negril may not compare as well to others for diving. The caveat for my opinion above is that I have limited diving experience, but I had a positive diving experience with them.

I dove Sandals Negril in 2014 and received my first cert with them. I found the instruction complete, the staff friendly , and everyone patient. My lovely bride had a panic attack during the pool portion. They spent extra time with her and ultimately refunded her fee without issue when she couldn't breathe without a mask.

For a first time diver, it cemented my desire to continue diving as we saw numerous reefs, turtles, rays, and various fish. I dove Beaches Turks & Caicos in June and while the walls and coral were fantastic, we were NOT impressed with the dive team in the least. We might as well been on a cattle car. Their dealing with defective rental equipment bordered on negligent.

We found the service, food, and location at Sandals Negril to be fantastic and we often remember that trip favorably. Looking back at the video and photos I can see where, compared to my only other tropical dive site (TCI), Negril may not compare as well to others for diving. The caveat for my opinion above is that I have limited diving experience, but I had a positive diving experience with them.

I had a very positive experience with the Sandals Negril op as well. My wife became AoW there and it was great. The reefs were great, the boat comfortable and the food at Sandals was good. Once I taught them how to make a Texas Margarita at the bar, everything was perfect. I just wish a week at Sandals didn't cost $6k.

That being said I'll be on a liveaboard in December for under $5k including flights (on miles) for 2.

Honestly I achieved my OW at SMB and thought the diving was fantastic, until I learned better.

Back
Top Bottom