Diving around Kota Kinabalu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a confirmed flight/accommodation package booked to Kota Kinabalu in April, and am now in contact with some of the operators mentioned on this forum about arranging some dive trips (without staying at their resorts).

Does anyone know what the traveling times are to the dive sites around Kota Kinabalu ( Mayne Rock, Mantanani and pulau tiga)?

I am getting some conflicting info.

One suggests that diving at these sites takes about 3 hours one way, requires a land transfer and then a boat transfer, and it also requires an overnight stay on one of these island?

Another operator stated that this is a day trip and is done by boat transfer.

Hi,

My name is Billy and own & run a dive operation in Kota Kinabalu - Scuba Diving, Learn to Dive, Lessons, Training and Wildlife in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysian Borneo . we are licensed PADI Dive Centre and Licensed Inbound Tour operator. We support teach along with PADI, TDI, SDI IANTD and BSAC.

To answer your questions.

Pulau Tiga is approximately 31 Nautical Miles south of Kota Kinabalu or KK. We run diving trips there from late February to early March thru' to September - Due to sea states and weather conditions offshore.

Diving is very good and interesting, but we often experience mild to strong currents. Travel time is approximately 1.5 to 2 hours by or current boat. But next February this time will be cut back to about 50 minutes. You can go to Tiga by road then by ferry but this takes most of your day. Our usual trip depart 8ish and we are back around 3:30ish. Price including lunch is currently RM 425.00 - Trip requires minimum numbers and PADI AOW minimum qualification.

Pulau Mantanani - Is 45Nm north of KK and is accessed via local village Kota Belud. 1 hour transfer from KK to Kota Belud and boat transfer over to island for diving, snorkelling etc.

Unfortunately this trip is only being offered to minimum numbers of 4 Pax and runs at about RM 595.00/Pax.

Alternative is the Usukan World War II wrecks and Mayne Rock - Superb sites! :) We runn regular trips to these from KK from February thru' till September. See our web site for images and info :)

30nm North of KK and about the same travel arrangements as Tiga.

Any more questions, please call me on +60178118149 - Email info@borneodream.com

Many thanks
Billy

Thanks Billy,

I've been in contact with your staff member, Joanne, and she already answered these questions for me (she is great with her email replies - lightning fast). You can let her know that I will be emailing her some bookings soon.

However, I did not realize that Pulau Tiga is AOW only, so that will require me to make changes to our plans, as we are AOW and OW.

We only have 1 evening, 1 day and 1 morning of diving time.

So, at this stage we are looking at the following:

Day 1: A night dive in TARP
Day 2: Day trip to Mayne Rock (we had originally planned for Pulau Tiga)
Day 3: Either TARP or Pulau Mantanani. We want a day trip with diving in the morning, and snorkeling in the afternoon ('cause we are flying out the next morning).

Which site do you think is best for snorkeling ( and some photography), TARP or Pulau Mantanani?

Hi Billy Some of the photos are fantastic. How would TARP and the other sites mentioned compare to Sipadan. I rate Sipadan 5* diving. What about Layang Layang. Would one have to organise a separate trip altogether along with diving TARP and being based in KK, considering it is further away. If so what kind of costs are there to get to LL?

Sipadan and Layang2 are both 5*. TARP is a very nice place to get in some dives when you are in KK or nearby. I flew there from Singapore to dive & holiday once using frequent flyer miles and I may again some day but I would never consider flying there from further away.

Back
Top Bottom