Diving around Kota Kinabalu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lj82

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys!
My friends and I are planning a trip to Kota Kinabalu in late Jan 2010.
I am considering taking a few days off to go diving around that area.
As far as I know, most divers dive at Tunku Abdul Rahman marine park, while some venture further to the Labuan wrecks. I have also heard about diving at Pulau Mantanani which is not too far from KK.

Can some of you who have experience diving in these areas give me some tips and feedbacks? :D

Hi,

First of all I will make it quite clear that I am an owner of a PADI/TDI/SDI/BSAC Dive Centre in Kota Kinabalu rather than trying to mislead anyone :)

Generally you can scuba dive around KK 365 days a year, with the best vis being around March to July, however generally the vis is more than acceptable compared to say the UK, Hong Kong or Singapore.

Most of the scuba diving, whether it training, courses or leisure diving takes place in the local Marine Park - Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park or TARP for short.

However there is some excellent diving site slightly north and south of KK which we also visit when weather permits - Pulau Tiga, Usukan WW II Wrecks, Maynes Rock & Pulau Mantanani.

Please go onto Facebook and search for Borneo Dream for more details, images and customers comments etc. Also try Scuba Diving | Dive Centre Reviews | Liveaboard Reviews | Scubadviser and search on Borneo Dream. For lots of images Picasa Web Albums - Borneo Dream Tour... and finally our own web site Scuba Diving, Learn to Dive, Lessons, Training and Wildlife in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysian Borneo

I hope this is of help, please feel free to contact us through the Borneo Dream web site above.

Thanks
Billy

Hi billy4eggs!
Thanks for your reply. I've seen the clips on your company's website. Can you tell me a bit more about what to expect (and the main differences between them)of pulau tiga, mayne rock, and TARMP in general? As for the wrecks, what experience level is expected for the divers heading up?

Are these trips typically done as day trips or overnight trips?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Hi,

The local marine park TARP is dive-able all year round with depths ranging from 6m to 30m on some of the outer sites. The furthest dive site is about 20 to 25 minutes from the Jesselton Point where we will collect you from.

Pulau Tiga, Mayne Rock and the Usukan Bay Wrecks are 2 hours away by boat and are accessible from late February till early October, outside of that we are in the hands of the gods as weather at sea can be very changeable.

Pulau Tiga is 30+ Nautical Miles south of Kota Kinabalu and has some stunning reefs and marine life with depths ranging from 5m to 20m. This is done as a day trip.

Mayne Rock, Usukan Bay Wrecks are 30+nm North of KK and have similar stunning reefs and marine life with the added attraction of World War II Japanese Cargo ships all torpedoed by a USS Dace (Sub). Designed for Advanced/Experienced divers as they are 30+m deep.

Staring next year we will be also offering easier access to these northern sites plus access to Pulau Mantanani - Stay tuned :)

I hope this helps, please take a moment and wander through our web site.

Thanks
Billy

Thanks billy,
Since I am going in late Jan, looks like TARMP is the most likely choice.
Hope to see you there if our plans go smoothly!

BTW, any recommendations for budget lodgings in kk?

Hi,

For budget accommodation in KK central I would recommend Blue Ocean Lodge, Hotel Garden, Step-in Lodge are all around Rm 25 to 50 /Pax/Night then you move into 3 Star hotels for say Rm 100/150 like Kinabalu Daya and Jesselton and D'Borneo. Next step is big, straight to 5 Star like Sutera, Shangri-La and Nexus etc. But basically there is simply loads to choose from. Have a quick look over my web site.

Becareful as some hotels etc. are out of town but seem very cheap - Novatel, Tune Hotel etc.

Thanks
Billy

PS. Sorry for the delay in answering :)

HI,

Can I just sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I must have miss placed my email from ScubaBoard :-(

I really like Layang Layang for several reasons. Firstly unlike Sipadan where you have to travel to each day, if you are lucky enough to get permits - Only 120 issued each day. With Layang Layang you are staying on the resort/island surrounded by great dive sites.

Great accommodation, food, diving, bar, free Wi-Fi and much much more :)

If you want some prices etc. please feel free to contact me on info@borneodream.com

Many thanks
Billy

Hi All,

If you are thinking of scuba diving trip, course or package to Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malsysia and can not decide whether come or not please take a look at some images that we have taken over the past months.

Picasa Web Albums - Borneo Dream Tour...

Many thanks
Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom