Diving around Austin this weekend?!? August 30th?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scraigw

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am trying to go diving on Sunday or Monday morning the 30th/31st of August but I need a dive buddy. I would be willing to go anywhere within ~30 miles of downtown austin where I will be staying, and would like to do two dives. I'll have a car and have no problem driving people/equipment. My story: I'm a 27 y.o. guy from dallas, lived in austin for 3 years, now I'm in NYC and visiting folks in austin for a long weekend and I want to get my dive numbers up to participate in a program so i'm using every chance i get. I was certified about 1.5 years ago and have two logged dives, but i'm taking a refresher course this week. If you are eager to get wet but need somebody (albeit a tad bit rusty) to go with, please get back to me and I would love to set something up.

Thank you!

Craig

scraigw AT gmail DOT com

Craig..... I live in the DFW area so I am Out, but there are a ton of nice friendly Swamp Divers in the Austin are....PLUS a great lake charter service. The thing I wanted to point out mostly about your note is the fact that after some to away from the sport you are SMART enough to do a scuba refresher class---Good job my fellow diver!!!! :)

I'll be at the Comal both mornings most probably, you are welcome to tag along. It's a great place to go for a refresher dive. :)

Although It is a bit farther than 30 miles from downtown Austin, maybe closer to 45.

Craig you may want to check with these guys http://www.oakhillscuba.com/class_schedule_sd.htm they usually always have someone going to the lake on the weekend....give them a call...they are revamping their website so you will need to call them....Mack (the owner) is here on scubaboard

Best bet is to go dive with lake travis scuba with the lake so low.

I agree...dive with Lake Travis Scuba. You can send him an email via the scuba board or go to his website.
He can also rent you tanks and possibly other gear if needed. Dove with him last weekend. If you don't have a buddy, you could probably buddy up with one of the divemasters.

I'll be at the Comal both mornings most probably, you are welcome to tag along. It's a great place to go for a refresher dive. :)

Although It is a bit farther than 30 miles from downtown Austin, maybe closer to 45.

Heavyjeffd,
I'm thinking about trying out Comal Saturday morning. I know you usually get in the water around 7:30 and out by 9:00, but exactly where would I meet up with you (assuming you would let me tag along)?

Thanks,
Gary

Hey there Gary. :)

I just pull into Solms park (if you know where that is in New Braunfels). If you get there early enough you can park really close to the walk down, which is nice all geared up. :)

Although it is a catch22. Early the sun is not really out so it is largely in shadow and the water is really enjoyable when it's all lit up, but later in the day there are more tubers to dodge. Although now that school is in session it is not nearly as crowded.

I may go a tad later, more like 8:30 so I can get some more sunlight. Let me know if you want to go for sure and I'll nail down a concrete time. :)

Hey there Gary. :)

I just pull into Solms park (if you know where that is in New Braunfels). If you get there early enough you can park really close to the walk down, which is nice all geared up. :)

Although it is a catch22. Early the sun is not really out so it is largely in shadow and the water is really enjoyable when it's all lit up, but later in the day there are more tubers to dodge. Although now that school is in session it is not nearly as crowded.

I may go a tad later, more like 8:30 so I can get some more sunlight. Let me know if you want to go for sure and I'll nail down a concrete time. :)

8:30am or anytime earlier sounds good to me. I'll be wearing a Zeagle BCD with a silver tank. I take it there are some steps down into the river or something like that and I'll meet you there.

I have a Ranger as well, yellow tanks. :)

Yes there are stairs to get in, very slippery though!

I gear up in the parking lot then walk down, much easier that way once all the tubers start showing up.

Let's shoot for 8:30, sounds good. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom