Diving around Austin and Corpus Christi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howdy EmtTim,

I'll add a few cents to the good info already posted:

Austin: Lake Travis. Good for depth and variety of dive sites, shore & boat diving options available. While I'd say that average vis is perhaps 10-15 feet annually (some months 1-5', others 15-20'), I've seen 40+ for a few weeks in late March, early April. Of course the water's still pretty cold then, but shouldn't be a problem if you've got exposure protection adequate for the Pacific.

R/g Visibility: Make no mistake, lake diving in limited visibility is great training; If you're comfortable diving here, most anywhere else is cake. As we like to say, 'Good vis is overrated!' :wink:

Reefs: Flower Gardens are your only bet. Great diving, but 110 miles off shore, so usually a multi-day trip is required. See Gulf Diving LLC - Welcome! for more info.

Wrecks: Several, but the real pride of Texas wrecks is the Texas Clipper, an artificial reef sunk November 2007: 473' in length, resting at depth of 134' with much of it in the 50-70' range. See The Texas Clipper : American Diving

Rigs: Many. Both outfits above can take you to rigs... & I've heard about other outfitters departing from different cities on the Texas coast.

Lastly, but importantly, I want to mention our close proximity to great Caribbean diving, especially Mexico, a relatively cheap option for some of the worlds best diving. I'd suggest checking out Cozumel for reefs, and the Yucatan for Cenotes: Cavern & Cave diving.

Best of luck & let us know if/when you get here. I'd be happy to dive some of the local spots w/ ya and show you around a bit. :D

Safe diving,
Zinc

Thanks for the mention, Driftwood. I am looking for DM's for the upcoming dive season.

Lake Travis Scuba will be operating from Windy Point Dive Park. This alliance will allow divers the option of shore and boat diving from one location. More information will follow in a posting after details are worked out.

Lake Travis Scuba will be operating from Windy Point Dive Park. This alliance will allow divers the option of shore and boat diving from one location. More information will follow in a posting after details are worked out.

Way cool!! Keep us posted, Robert!! Spring is right around the corner (or so I keep telling myself) - cant wait to get wet! This cold wuss wants some spring weather and warmer water temps :)

Lastly, but importantly, I want to mention our close proximity to great Caribbean diving, especially Mexico, a relatively cheap option for some of the worlds best diving. I'd suggest checking out Cozumel for reefs, and the Yucatan for Cenotes: Cavern & Cave diving.

Safe diving,
Zinc

A lot of us consider Mexico to be 'local' diving. You can get a rt flight out of Austin to Cancun for around $250 with taxes. Once in Cancun, Cozumel is a hour bus ride and a hour ferry trip to Coz. I can be in Cozumel before I can get to the Flower Gardens from Austin and for not that much more money per dive.

Way cool!! Keep us posted, Robert!! Spring is right around the corner (or so I keep telling myself) - cant wait to get wet! This cold wuss wants some spring weather and warmer water temps :)

I am diving Aquarena in the morning, water temperature is a constant 72 degrees.....

Wussssssss.............:rofl3:

Travis is in the 50's, you will have to wait until May to warm up. Sorry.......

Shawn O'Shea

Check out RumBum's Texas Dive Sites map. It covers the diving around here, not including Mexico, pretty well...

http://www.texasdivesites.com/

Back
Top Bottom