Diving around Alex Bay.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grahams315

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys. Im doing my OW class this summer and looking for some local dives that would be good for new divers. Has anyone dove around there and can recomend dives for a newbie? Thanks all

There's a cool eco-div trail off of Clayton. I think it's appropriate for a newbie. Call Hunt's Dive Shop in Clayton for more info. I like the Vickery but it isn't a beginning dive.

There's the Wreck of the Islander in Alexandria Bay. Easy shore dive and really popular for OW classes.

Islander

Wreck diving up in the Thousand Islands is awesome. Have fun and watch out for the current up there!

There's the Wreck of the Islander in Alexandria Bay. Easy shore dive and really popular for OW classes.

Islander

Wreck diving up in the Thousand Islands is awesome. Have fun and watch out for the current up there!

The Keystorm is a nice wreck too. It's big, interesting to look at and starts in about 25' of water. It's a boat dive, and Hunt's will run out to it pretty much any time they get 4 or more divers.

Terry

Thanks alot guys. I know my OW check out dives MIGHT be there but im not sure yet. Given that its only an hour and a half from my house ill have to dive it haha. Does anyone have an estimation of about how cold the water will be at depth around there?

Thanks alot guys. I know my OW check out dives MIGHT be there but im not sure yet. Given that its only an hour and a half from my house ill have to dive it haha. Does anyone have an estimation of about how cold the water will be at depth around there?

Well, ass soon as they put it back in the water or fix it (not sure what's wrong), you can check here:

NDBC - Station ALXN6

There's pretty much no thermocline and by the end of the summer, it gets to be around 70.

Terry

Our club has been using Thousand Island Dive Excursions (TIDE) for several years and is very satisfied with Ken. If diving the Keystrum, you can also hit the American (drill barge that ended up capsized after the dynamite in the rock below detonated early.)

The Islander is a shore dive, but parking is VERY limited and fills up early. You may get parked in. If going in two vehicles, consider backing the first car in and park the second just in front that way by moving the second car you will both be able to get out. It isn't a lot of fun if you have been blocked in by a guy with doubles who just got in the water as you were coming out.

Check out the dive database on Adirondack Aquanautical Society - SCUBA Diving - Gloversville Johnstown Albany Schenectady Lake George Sacandauga for info on these sites.

Thanks alot guys. You are a wealth of information. Its good to hear itll hit 70. I was nervous about always having to use a dry suit in local dives!

I just got a dry suit, more for convenience and to extend my season. A good 7mm wet suit and hood is usually fine for lakes, etc in summer. In the summer we often dive Lake George in 2/3mm, at least through the first thermocline. We generally start diving Lake George and Sacandauga in mid/late may. As the season progresses the thermocline(s) go deeper. Lake George has some of the best viz in the Adirondacks 30 foot+/- Sacandauga runs 3 to 15 and can get very dark even at 40 feet (bring lights) at midday.

While the spring warms up late, fall diving can be quite nice up here. Diving as late as Columbus weekend the conditions aren't too bad. The water cools slower than the land. You will find times when the water is warmer than the air. Makes you want to get out of a wet suit fast.

The large lakes can develop significant wind and waves, especially lakes George and Champlain where the wind can whip off the mountains. The great lakes are noted for their ability to get rough and the St. Lawrence can also get large wind and waves. Don't discount the potential for rough weather because it isn't the ocean...

Temps at the Islander (UWATEC SmartPro):

9 Jul / 70.2 F

21 May / 47.8 F
19 Sep / 65.8 F
20 Oct / 60.1 F

12 Jun / 60.8 F
5 Jul / 65.8 F
12 Aug / 73.8 F (Keystorm)
7 Sep / 71.6 F
25 Oct / 55.8 F

26 Jul / 69.4 F
10 Aug / 73.8 F