diving and volcanoes in the same day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjcoussens

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've heard conflicting stories and figured I'd come to the experts for some help. Thanks to "GO!" we've put together a quick trip to Kona at the end of the month. The problem is we have only one full day on the Island and would like to dive as well as see the the lava flow. Fortunately, it is now possible to see the flows again and the park has opened up some closed off areas just in time for our trip. Unfortunately, someone in our group brought up the question of altitude. Any ideas on whether diving and volcanoes would be possible in the same day? If it helps, we'll be boat diving so our profiles will be in the 90 and 60ft ranges.

Thanks,

Matt

Starts out at 3,700 feet

Meaning your journey will start at sea level then up to 3,700 or so by the parks entrance......

Major sawtooth profile for the day

Diving, then up to 3700 ft (fairly rapidly by car), down back to ocean to see the lava flow, then back up to park entrance at 3700......

I personally would not do this.

Upon further thinking, it looks to me like it may be quite possible if we treat our dives as if they were being done at altitude. For example, if the top of the road is at 4000 ft. We would just plan our depths as being deeper than they actually are in regards to nitrogen absorbtion. This would make a 90 ft dive at 4000 ft elevation equal to a 104 ft dive at sea level. Right? Also, isn't it only a problem with regards to traveling higher than 6000 ft anyway?

FWIW, I'm basing this off of these links:
The Ten Foot Stop
Altitude Dive Table

Thanks,

Matt

Not only altitude is an issue, but time. The Big Island is much larger than all the other islands, combined. It's not a short drive. Most of the charters are getting back into Honokohau between 1:30 and 3:00. You'll probably want to clean up a bit and then it'll be at least 2.5-3 hours to the park, plus almost another hour to get to the parking for the lava flow, with a walk of who knows how long an any given day to actually get to the flow.

I consider the volcano to be an entire day trip unless you just want to do a drive by to say you've done it. I personally do not recommend even a trip over there on dive days, not worth the risk.

mjcoussens:
Upon further thinking, it looks to me like it may be quite possible if we treat our dives as if they were being done at altitude. For example, if the top of the road is at 4000 ft. We would just plan our depths as being deeper than they actually are in regards to nitrogen absorbtion. This would make a 90 ft dive at 4000 ft elevation equal to a 104 ft dive at sea level. Right? Also, isn't it only a problem with regards to traveling higher than 6000 ft anyway?

FWIW, I'm basing this off of these links:
The Ten Foot Stop
Altitude Dive Table

Thanks,

Matt

DAN is currently recommending a 12 surface interval before travel to 2000-8000 feet http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=54 They don't even address other altitudes or specifics. You might be able to check the NOAA dive tables and their ascent to altitude tables.

Then again, you could buy a heckuva lot of interisland flights for the price of a single chamber ride.

Too much for one day. Aint Go! great?

friscuba:
Not only altitude is an issue, but time. The Big Island is much larger than all the other islands, combined. It's not a short drive. Most of the charters are getting back into Honokohau between 1:30 and 3:00. You'll probably want to clean up a bit and then it'll be at least 2.5-3 hours to the park, plus almost another hour to get to the parking for the lava flow, with a walk of who knows how long an any given day to actually get to the flow.

I consider the volcano to be an entire day trip unless you just want to do a drive by to say you've done it. I personally do not recommend even a trip over there on dive days, not worth the risk.

I'm with Steve on this. You have issues of the rate of ascent, the elevation and the timing issues. Plus, there is some evidence that exertion after diving can increase DCS risk. To me, just not worth it. IMO, pick one and do it. I love Big Island diving and I also think that seeing the volcano is a "Near God" moment.....seeing land created before your eyes is incredible. Touch choice. Whichever you do, have a great time!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there is a chamber on the big island?

Tech Admin:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there is a chamber on the big island?

Nope. No Chamber here

Back
Top Bottom