Diving and the nicotine patch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any problems associated with using a nicotine patch and diving?

I'm 58 and smoked for 40 years. I have finally had enough of it so I quit. I Had my last cig last Saturday afternoon and started the patch Sunday. So far it is really helping. I tried quitting before but the anxiety and craving became overwhelming and I always started again. This time the patch is eliminating that.
I have been taking Losartan and Norvasc for mild high blood pressure and they have been controlling it. I am hoping quitting smoking will eliminate the need for the meds. My cardiologist did notice a slight thickening of my heart muscle he says is associated with uncontrolled high blood pressure, but seems to think that will go away after my bp is under control for a while.
I know I won't be able to come off the meds until after I get off the patch and my bp drops.
On the plus side I am thinking my SAC should drop after I get the crap out of my lungs.

First off, congratulations on finally making the decision to quit!

As far as using the patch while diving, I have nothing to offer you.

I am also 58 and I was a smoker for 30+ years and today is my 10 year anniversary of my last smoke!

I also used the patch to help me but this was actually my third attempt. Keep in mind that you need to really want to quit. The patch does indeed help a great deal.

In all attempts I had, I would follow the instructions and by the time I was on to the second smaller patch, many days I would realize that I had forgotten to put it on. That seemed to be just the way it was.

My mistakes on the two previous times was that after being off the smokes, at some point I thought I could just try one and not go back full time. Nope!

You really need to commit to never smoking again. It is possible. Now, I know for sure, I would never ever take even one puff off a smoke. It is just not worth it and I am proud to be celebrating 10 years smoke free.

Good luck to you and keep up the good fight always!

Shouldn't be an issue then. It's nicotine, does what nicotine does. I've seen people smoke right before a dive. All that did was carbon monoxide load them, and do some vasoconstriction to enhance their cooling effect.

Kudos on deciding to quit. The earlier, the less permanent damage.
Very unfortunate habit. People under 20 smoking think they are cool. People over 20 smoking know they are hooked and made a dumb decision when they were young.

Any problems associated with using a nicotine patch and diving?
... On the plus side I am thinking my SAC should drop after I get the crap out of my lungs.

Hi pepperbelly,

It is wonderful that you have stopped smoking. It is a terribly pernicious habit.

If you are not having any adverse effects with the patch topside, diving should not be adversely impacted by its use.

Do be aware that smoking permanently damages the alveoli in the lungs, and those who have been smoking a long time, or who have smoked heavily, or even worse both, are likely to have developed at least some degree of irreversible chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. While some of the inflammation caused by this may be reversible, and accumulated phlegm and mucus may be expelled over time, the scarring that smoking causes to the lining of the lungs is there to stay.

Breathing capacity may be somewhat improved by gradually increasing amounts of regular exercise and by performing specific breathing exercises such as by breathing through the diaphragm (The Simple Breathing Trick That Combats Stress) or the pursed lip technique (Pursed Lip Breathing Techniques for COPD | Cleveland Clinic).

Regards,

DocVikingo

Probably would not be a bad idea to get a pulmonary function test after 4-6 weeks of non-smoking, especially since you are a diver. That can better quantify the damage done. The concern is that if there is enough air trapping from alveolar damage it makes you more susceptible to arterial gas embolism.

The concern is that if there is enough air trapping from alveolar damage it makes you more susceptible to arterial gas embolism.

And pneumothorax or mediastinal emphysema.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom