Diving and/or shops/clubs around Labrador City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well, I may be moving to Labrador city for work and leaving Vancouver Island :( and I figured I would see if there was any places to dive, stores or clubs in the area that can feed my addiction problem if I do make the decision to go. I figure there has to be something in the area as my search turned up a quarry and a liability waiver form for getting tanks filled, but that was about it.

Regardless, I know that I am not to far away from some great diving in the St. Lawrence and days drive or so to the lakes, but would be nice if there was something local with some depth, I could sink my teeth into from time to time to keep my feet wet and my skills up to snuff.

Is there anything there or should I just leave my gear at my buddies place on the coast of Nova Scotia or in St. Johns, so I can just fly and go diving every few months?

Greatly appreciate any feedback or input.

Thanks

Steve

Anyone? All I'm finding info on is a local lake/quarry? Nothing on shops or anything regarding where I can get fills?

Appreciate any help or info.

Thanks

Steve

Regards

Steve

Wow. I just looked up where Labrador City is. Someone must really not like you to send you there. I would leave the gear in Sydney NS and then fly and dive with Harv Morash from Louisbourg. He dives a JJ as well.

I grew up there (Wabush), but did not dive there. There is lots of water around so you could absolutely get wet, but I am not sure what there would be to see.

1400 KM from there to here if you want to dive the river in this area (Morrisburg, Brockville), further down to the lakes. Baie Comeau is closer for you of course, but the water is much colder and I have no idea what is up that way other than Les Escoumins near Tadoussac a bit further west.

Yeah, I figure if this goes through I'm in for some long hauls to get decent diving in, see what happens.

Leaving it on the coast is an option as well, I've actually been in touch with a few friends and Harv and leaving gear somewhere is not an issue.

Who knows if this will go through, I'm just looking for options and I'll be talking to the locals here in a few days to see what's up/etc with the town/culture etc.

Regards

Steve

My experience is with the Pacific North, but I'm gonna guess that life in LabCity/Wabush also primarily centers around working and drinking.

Pretty sure that is common for the majority of the northern towns in Canada. Well at least the spots I've been to

Check out Sachs Harbour in Nunavut for an interesting spot!

That's one thing about my career, I've been to some really interesting/unique spots not many have been to all over the world.

Regards

Steve

If you do wind up there it would be an interesting time for sure. There is a whole lot of upside for taking the path less travelled.

You have probably seen this in your search but if not, there appears to have been a dive club there at one time. Unfortunately the shed housing their compressor burnt down and was probably the end of the club as well.

Just getting back into the PNW, having checked out the town and job I think it's a rather good fit to be honest.

Apparently there are divers still there. Couple of the guys at the site knew a few people whom do dive, no idea for fills though, they all thought the city shut the FD down from providing fills for liability reasons. If it goes forward I'd more then likely end up buying a compressor and or mixing stick or booster. Might be possible to get tech fills in Labrador city for any whom are interested if this goes forward. Haha.

Regards

Steve

Well after a lot of careful consideration and weighing all the pro/cons I decided to not accept the job. Wasn't an easy decision to make, especially given or current economy, but i went with my gut on this and turned it down. Back to the job search!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom