Diving and Migraine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question for the docs in the same vein as this thread - I had a full-blown migrane attack with aura about a year and a half ago(over 4 solid days...never, ever want to have to go through that again - I would have happily crawled in a hole to die near the end of it.) Upon finishing the questioning by the doc, I found out that I had suffered from migraines for many years without knowing it. I had the "aura" rather often, at least a few times a week, but the process always aborted before I got to full migrane prior to that first full one. My symptoms subsided completely after the full blown attack until a month or two ago, at which time the "aura minus headache" pattern started again. I now carry Imitrex with me everywhere, although I have not used it since the full attack.

My question: Should I develop, for some reason, a full-blown attack during a dive, is it safe to take Imitrex right after a dive? I ask because my understanding is that the effect of the drug is to "reset" your circulatory system by first dialating your vessels then constricting them. Would this be dangerous when nitrogen loaded?

Perhaps I wasn’t specific enough.

I was not suggesting that anyone do this.

These were studies done in a chamber not in the water. O2 toxicity in a dry chamber with medical personnel on hand is not likely to be fatal. Anyone who dives should know not to exceed a PO2 of 1.6 and to only go that high during deco.

Mea-culpa !!!

I re-read your post and I have NO idea what I was thinking
when I 'pointed at' you.

Please forgive.

Cave Diver once bubbled...

I rarely suffer from them anymore, but yes I did used to get them, or suffer from them, or whatever you wish to call it. As I stated in my post:

"When I was younger I used to get migraines frequently. Now my headaches are mostly sinus. I have gotten a few headaches from diving from CO2 retention, but those are nothing compared to a true migraine. They are just a minor annoyance. I did recently dive with a headache."

At the risk of sounding rude, if you had read a little more closely you would note that I said I got them frequently when younger, now it is mostly sinus, and I recently dove with a headache, not a migraine.

I do indeed know the difference between a headache and a migraine. I was on medication for several years growing up and went through a battery of tests to try to determine a cause for my migraines. Thankfully, as I have gotten older they have subsided and it is very rare that I have one now.

My response in the post indicated that I had a headache (not a migraine) which intensified during the dive and due to that experience I would recommend anyone who doesn't feel well to abort the dive. Someone who is prone to migraines should feel even more compelled to end the dive at the first signs.

scubadoc once bubbled...
You might want to discuss with your doctor the possibility of you having a PFO (patent foramen ovale), a small opening between the right and left heart that can allow bubbles to cross and cause "undeserved" decompression sickness.

Migraine with aura has been found to be significantly associated with patent foramen ovale, thought to be a factor in the causation of undeserved decompression accidents. This can be found at the following reference:
Neurology 1999 May 12;52(8):1622-5
Potential source of cerebral embolism in migraine with aura: a transcranial Doppler study. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entr...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10331688&dopt=Abstract

Interesting. While never diagnosed with migraine, I get "aura" attacks from time to time. I can get 2 a week for several weeks or one in 6 months. The "aura" attacks I get are basically "flashes" or Squiggly lines (like small lightning bolts) around my peripheral vision and last for 30 minutes. My doctor said migraines are clinically diagnosed as I'm assuming there is no "physical" way to make a diagnosis. I sometimes get a mild headache after but usually just the aura. I believe I'm one of the "lucky" ones, if I do in fact have "real" migraines. I basically live with this and though quite annoying (hard to read etc. during attack) I can still drive etc. One thing I was not aware (associated with migraine) of was PFO (patent foramen ovale), I think I'll research this. I've tried in vain to find what may trigger these "attacks", sugar level, chocolate, allergies etc. but I can't seem to find a pattern.

Migranes, I think we all can agree are no fun. In my situation I identified several contributors. They would not need to be alone. Many times it is a combination of factors - A tipping point would be reached and WHAM!. The factors include, intense light changes, temperature changes, (interestingly for diving) barometric changes -the approach of a storm or change in elevation and food sensitivities such as caffine, citrus and nicotine. I have also noted a heavy corelation to seasonal changes. By manging these factors I have been able to sustantially reduce my incidences. I stopped smaokinf years ago and swithed to all things decaf. I keep my sun glasses handy when exiting buildings. I make sure my hands are warm in gloves when going outside in the cold.

Diving has triggered no migranes to date even though there are triggers present such as temp and pressure changes. I haven't figured out why yet. I suspect that becuase of the excitement of diving my hormonal levels are altered and raise the "tipping point". I do watch my food intacke very closely prior to diving and eliminate as many variables as possible.

For me the onset of visuals would signal the end of a dive. I can normally sense a slightly "off" feeling prior to that. I'm not sure I would notice it once I got under water though and would have to rely on the visual marker.

Interestingly the amount of vision I loose correlates to how bad the pain will be. A little loss - a little pain. A lot of loss- find a wall to bang your head against. The length of time my vision is affected predicts the length of the attack from minutes to days.

I believe though that you can identify multiple triggers and mange them quite successfully. Yes, you will still get crushed occasionally but I have reduced occurences from weekly to only several times a year and also been able to substantially reduce their severity. In most cases now I can continue with my day.

Do not be afraid to call the dive at the first sign of trouble.

Try looking at several triggers, keep well below the "tipping point" and DIVE DIVE DIVE.

RiverRat once bubbled...

Interesting. While never diagnosed with migraine, I get "aura" attacks from time to time. I can get 2 a week for several weeks or one in 6 months. The "aura" attacks I get are basically "flashes" or Squiggly lines (like small lightning bolts) around my peripheral vision and last for 30 minutes. My doctor said migraines are clinically diagnosed as I'm assuming there is no "physical" way to make a diagnosis. I sometimes get a mild headache after but usually just the aura. I believe I'm one of the "lucky" ones, if I do in fact have "real" migraines. I basically live with this and though quite annoying (hard to read etc. during attack) I can still drive etc. One thing I was not aware (associated with migraine) of was PFO (patent foramen ovale), I think I'll research this. I've tried in vain to find what may trigger these "attacks", sugar level, chocolate, allergies etc. but I can't seem to find a pattern.

I've suffered from migraine with aura since the age of 18, and often get auras without subsequent headache. There are indeed numerous triggers and for me the most powerful seem to be weather changes (here in So Cal Santa Ana conditions in particular) and interruptions in my sleep pattern. I have never had a migraine attack while diving. At any rate, there are many medications available for migraine, either to treat episodically or as prophylaxis, should you decide the migraines or auras become debilitating in some way. Of course, your doc should be able to explain what is available. As for the association of migraine and PFO, I had a PFO but it has been repaired. I still get migraines though. Perhaps scubadoc or someone else can provide clarification on the nature of the association between these conditions.

Just found this thread as a board newbie--I'm interested as 1) someone who used to get migraines, 2) a PADI instructor who may decline to accept a student for medical reasons, despite a medical OK, and 3) an MD who sees a fair number of migraine patients.
Various issues have been raised here: suitability to dive, medication use, CO2 retention, effects of O2, triggering factors, PFO, etc.

Regarding suitability to dive, it looks like all of us here feel it's OK, as we dive despite migraines, and would plan to abort if a migraine occured. An obvious issue is whether the migraine would risk one's safety, whether from a visual aura (I might have trouble reading my computer), distraction from severe pain, repeated vomiting, or other neurologic symptoms such as vertigo (a complaint I've often seen with migraine patients) or speech and motor symptoms (rare, but I had a patient whose 15 or 20 minute aura was not visual, but aphasia and right arm paralysis). I certainly would not have OK'd her to dive, but many migraine issues would be gray rather than black and white. A related issue is whether the condition could cause confusion regarding the diagnosis of DCS--which unfortunately could be the case with migraines.
As for medications, one question was whether it would be OK to use Imitrex after a dive. I doubt I or anyone could give an absolute answer, but I personally think it would be OK. Imitrex works by blocking receptors in cerebral veins that cause them to dilate in response to certain chemical messengers--the immediate cause of the headache, as far as we know. There is theoretic concern that other vessels could respond to the med by constricting, hence I'd pause before giving it to someone with, say, unstable angina. But I've ordered an injection in a 70 yo male (without known coronary disease) with no problems.
Obviously one should be sensible and cautious (i.e., don't dive) when using sedating drugs such as narcotics and antiemetics like Phenergan or Compazine. Preventive meds are another issues. Probably the most commonly used ones are beta blockers, also used for hypertension and coronary artery disease, and of some concern if used by divers. They can blunt the heart rate increase needed for maximum exercise.
As for CO2, those headaches are migraine-like, in that they result from increased cerebral blood flow (arterial) which would likely mean higher pressure/volume in the veins. Same mechanism as ice cream headaches. So it's understandable there could be confusion between the two.
As for O2, there have been reports of relief from vascular headaches with high flow O2 (at 1 ATM), but I think these were in cluster headaches (a cousin to migraines), so one could hypothesize that the higher O2 pressure at depth might be helpful.
As for triggers, by all means try to figure them out. I've had so few compared to many people that, except for one that followed a stressful episode (AFTER the stress was relieved), I couldn't identify anything. For some it's caffeine, (and for many, caffeine helps relieve them), certain foods, including some cheeses, red wines, etc. And be optimistic. Most people find they decrease in frequency as they get into middle age (I don't think I've had one since about age 48 or 49...knock on wood) or past menopause.
As for PFO, that's a tough one. That paper in Neurology gives one pause...but I don't plan to get a transesophageal echocardiogram to look for a PFO, as I don't think I'd stop diving and would continue to try to be conservative with my profiles.

Hope this post is of some use/interest....

kelpdiver once bubbled...
Just found this thread as a board newbie--I'm interested as 1) someone who used to get migraines, 2) a PADI instructor who may decline to accept a student for medical reasons, despite a medical OK, and 3) an MD who sees a fair number of migraine patients.

Thanks for the general discussion on this topic, kelpdiver. Just an interesting side note re TEE's and looking for PFO. In my case, I'd had a couple of TEEs prior to valve surgery and one in particular the doc did a bubble study specifically to look for a PFO and was not able to confirm it. During my first open heart surgery, the surgeon did indeed find PFO and closed it up (at least that's what it said in my op report, and what the heck, he was in there anyway and he knew I was a diver). So, it seems to me even if one were to have a TEE to look for PFO, it's not a perfect diagnostic tool.

Green_Manelishi once bubbled...
at the risk of being rude, noone "gets" a migraine. you suffer
from them or you do not. do you?

david.tolan described "classic migraine" to the "T" especially
with his reference to visual aura and feeling "hung over".

too many out there believe "Oh, I have a bad headache ... it
must be a migraine." ... NOT !!!

add to that not ALL migraine attacks include a (severe) headache
but the 'attack' is definate migraine.

Well said!!!

As a migraine suffer I have long been aware that migraines are biological (i.e. genetic) in nature, unlike stress headaches or CO2 headaches which are not. Specifically, neurologists believe chromosome 16 to be responsible for classical migraines.

Migraines feel very different from regular headaches - even very bad ones. A migraine suffer can usually tell when she/he is about to have an attack (nausea, visual pros, etc) and obviously should not dive during a migraine, nor if ones feel a migraine coming on (one would not want to anyway).

Scuba diving however does not trigger migraines, thus it is OK to dive even if one has been diagnosed as having classical migraines. I've check with my neurologist regarding this prior to a booking unlimited two week dive package, and he reassured me that many migraine suffers dive without difficulty. Attacks don't normally start underwater. Moreover the atmospheric pressure at sea level is usually reduces the frequency of attacks, particularly if you compare it to volatility of the pressure systems when you live in high altitude i.e. in Switzerland.

Like SeaGypsy I’ve never suffered from a migraine attack during a dive. I have however started dives with mild tension headaches and found that it made them dissapear.

I've done some research on migranes, but I didn't know that "Migraine with aura has been found to be significantly associated with patent foramen ovale, thought to be a factor in the causation of undeserved decompression accidents. This can be found at the following reference:
Neurology 1999 May 12;52(8):1622-5
Potential source of cerebral embolism in migraine with aura: a transcranial Doppler study.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entr...8&dopt=Abstract "
It's worth looking into. Thanks Doc.

Sylvie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom