Diving and Jacuzzi...OK to Mix??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, DandyDon - just checked our planned profiles: after a couple hours we are barely in Pressure Group A. It doesn't appear I'll be getting bent in the shower :D

Last year, I called DAN and asked their advice about this.

They asked about my expected dive profiles: I was planning a weekend of diving, about three dives a day, 60 -70 ft max depths, between approx. hours of 10 am - 4 pm. I'd planned to grab dinner after diving and soak in the jacuzzi in the evenings before bedtime.

DAN said that I should avoid getting into the hot jacuzzi soon after a diving, but with the four to five hour interval I was looking at, I should be fine.

I don't know if this advice changes for more aggressive diving profiles.

Mike Nelson:
So, what would be a safe interval to wait before taking a hot shower? My wife and I are taking our first two open water dives for certification tomorrow. Max depth with be 40-45 feet. It'll be a couple hours after our last dives before we get home and are able to hop in the shower. Also, we'll be using dry suits, so rinsing off isn't really an issue.

Thanks for any suggestions!

For petes sake taking a shower after a 40 ft. dive wil not hurt you. Rinsing off is not a problem. By the time you get home you will most likely be off-gassed from most dives.
Relax and enjoy!!!!!!! Dont let DandyDon alarm you.

mnj1233:
For petes sake taking a shower after a 40 ft. dive wil not hurt you. Rinsing off is not a problem. By the time you get home you will most likely be off-gassed from most dives.
Relax and enjoy!!!!!!! Dont let DandyDon alarm you.
:confused: Huh? I said: "A two hour SI does a lot of off-gassing - check your RDP and see how your Group changes a lot. Of course, 'safe' is a relative term."

He's a OW student - thought it'd be nice for him to learn, and apparently he did...
Thanks, DandyDon - just checked our planned profiles: after a couple hours we are barely in Pressure Group A. It doesn't appear I'll be getting bent in the shower

Mike Nelson:
So, what would be a safe interval to wait before taking a hot shower? My wife and I are taking our first two open water dives for certification tomorrow. Max depth with be 40-45 feet. It'll be a couple hours after our last dives before we get home and are able to hop in the shower. Also, we'll be using dry suits, so rinsing off isn't really an issue.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Mike, If i understand your Quote correctly. ( You and youre wife are going to hopp up and down in the shower with your Dry suits on) A safe interval ? Ten years

Frank Hayes:
Mike, If i understand your Quote correctly. ( You and youre wife are going to hopp up and down in the shower with your Dry suits on) A safe interval ? Ten years
Damn, I missed that part. :lol2:

The consensus seems to be it is not wise to take a hot bath/soaking immediately after a dive or day of diving. Wow, this is good to know because I have done it several times...at the end of a 3 or 4 dive day. It seems to be okay if one has had 2-3 hours to off-gas before taking such a soak...sure hope so because it sure feels good.

I now see that dedicated dive resorts with these facilities may have them for non-diving guests or those who have finished their diving. However, it seems to me that they should maybe post some warning advising divers to wait for 2-3 hours after their last dive of the day before going in.

On the other end, would it be okay to soak before a day's diving?

Thanks for the link...DAN gets the last word :D

Dandy Don is right on the money (as usual). Another angel is that in warm water like a hot tub, blood flow is diverted from deep tissues to near the surface to assist in dumping heatfrom the body. That leaves disolved nitorgen in the deep tissues near the bone etc, with less blood flow to off gas into.

Divers Alert Network(DAN) use to have an atricle on this, but I am unable to locate it now.

Back
Top Bottom