Diving and Camping...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AevnsGrandpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This summer in order to help my expense ratio, I was thinking about doing the camping routine when I go diving instead of the hotel route.

What are some of the problems and special circumstances you all have run into when doing this and what tips does anyone have to help take care of the problems.

Thanks bunches!!

Jeff

Depending on the amount of space you have in your vehicle/vehicles and how many people are going, camping gear can take up quite a bit of room. We already know how much room dive gear takes up.

Bring clotheslines so you can hang your equipment to dry, atleast a bit, it'll atleast keep them from stinking up the car/tent.

Depending on where you are camping and diving, you may want to bring a large rubbermaid tub to rinse gear - you may have to provide your own water(depends on location again).

no airconditing, no room service, no cable, too many bugs, lack of poolside bar to relax after the dive

We dive and camp here all the time, it's a blast when you have a group. You really don't need anything speacial from the camping norm. We always bring stuff to have a good tournement of washers or horseshoes after a dive, plus you get to be manly and utilize fire! To meet my camping/diving needs I took a cheapo water hose, cut it down to about 4 feet, put a connector and nozzle on the cut end and since a lot of camp sites have water outlets somewhere i have a hose to rinse or fill a container with water to clean gear. The best part is i don't have to lug 20 ft of hose around with me. For dying gear I keep a spool of line in my gear bag to run in between tress to make a drying line, when we pack up i cut it down and save it for later. Hope this helps.

Bring some cloth hangers for the equipment, a large cooler or something to rinse your gear (in case camping does not have a hose shower available). Is good to have a mesh bag for your gear once is 50 dry... help dry out till morning.

Other than that, bring friends and have fun!!

Robert

Other than the usual camping gear, depending on where you are going, you may want to bring extra tanks so you don't spend all your time diving to a dive store. I also use an inverter that plugs into my car lighter to convert DC to AC so that I can recharge my dive lights.

Gray

The one major concern no one has mentioned yet is securing one's property.

Given that the vast majority of people that camp are decent sorts and seem to exhibit a higher degree of respect for other's properties, scuba gear, hanging languidly in the shade while drying, can be a very, very tempting source of extra income for some.

Always stow your gear somewhere if you need to leave your camp site for any reason other than diving.

Ditto on the "clothes line". Learn to tie some good knots so that you don't have to drive anchoring devices into trees. A couple of turnbuckles in the old utility tub are always handy. A small propane tank with one of the small heating elements is a godsend in chillly weather - but don't sleep with it in the tent.

Safe dives . . .
. . . safer ascents

Thanks everyone who responded. I'll make me a list!

Actually where I would be diving at has the camp sites so I should not have to drive any length of time to get a refill. I already take a tub with me, but the cut off hose is good idea. I have a truck with a full size bed and a topper that locks so hopefully, unless someone is really determined, my equipment will be safe.

I was think last nigth of making a dryign stand for the gear. Someting that will break down so it travels better, but would be tall enough so have my full wet suit and other gear.

Again thanks,

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom