Diving and Bad lower Back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ilias Rm

New
Reaction score
Greetings!

Well, I am newbie here and considering scuba diving, but I have issues with my lower back. I got spondylolisthesis L4-L5 degree 1. The doctor said that is congenital thing and when i ask him about scuba diving, he hasn't negative attitude but neither positive ....I am very skeptical about that.I want to protect my lower back but I love open waters too!
I wonder, if someone has similar issues and if his back worsened ,after scuba diving.

Τhank you and nice to meet you.

How old are you, How much do you weigh, are you physically active. I have minor lower back problems and still dive at 70 years old. The one thing that still allows me to Dive is my physical attitude. I walk 3 miles every morning that I don't dive. I never smoked, don't drink much. and 4 years ago I weighed 220 now I am down to 170. But I have been Diving since 1955 and still love it. Good Luck it's 512 AM and I am off for my morning 3 miles. :)

If it's weight you're worried about, maybe tried scuba classes that uses side mount. I think PADI is pushing for that right now as the new norm. It's much less physically demanding because you won't have to carry the tank on your back on land.

I had trouble my 1st year because my lower back needed to build up strength. Getting weight off my waist and upwards into trim pockset, tank weights, a heavier tank, weight pockets or other devices was a big help. Just a little bit of your weight needs to be ditchable and with ditchable weight pockets none of it need necessarily be on your lower back.
I also found that it was much easier to take the tank & BCD to the water, then come back with any added weights and do the assembly & donning in the water.
After a just a couple years of diving my back/arms/shoulders had a completely different threshold for "heavy".

I would certainly have a physical and not dive unless I had a doctor's approval. My shop ( and most) would require that if you disclosed a lower back problem. There are accommodations that can be made to avoid a few movements that might be precluded by a back condition but still all ow you to dive. Talk to your local divfe center and your doctor both before going forward, or before deciding not to dive.
DivemasterDennis

I too dive with lower back pain and have had relatively minimal back issues...once in the water everything is nearly weightless. I am not familuar with your condition, nor am I longer a medical professional so I cannot comment on your specific case. I suggest contating DAN (Diver's Alert Network) and pose your question to them.

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/?a=medicemail

I have seen people who could not walk still dive...

Good Luck and I hope you make it...

~Oldbear~

If it's weight you're worried about, maybe tried scuba classes that uses side mount. I think PADI is pushing for that right now as the new norm. It's much less physically demanding because you won't have to carry the tank on your back on land.

Yeah! GO SIDEMOUNT! Much easier on your back in the water. if you do have a bad back, then dont carry your tanks while in your harness. It is super easy if you are boat diving, you can just attach them one tank at a time in the water or the boat's swim step. I love sidemount and always prefer it over standard scuba.

Back
Top Bottom