Diving and alcohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beautybelow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just out of curiousity, what are your views on drinking one or two beers between or before diving. I know what my opinion is, but I have to deal with this more than I would have guessed. I would not do it nor recommend it.

Seldom seen or done on day boats that Ive seen. Private and liveaboard, whole different story. No one can say it's a "good" thing but it happens, hell, Ive had a beer between dives once in a while. Shhh, don't tell PADI...

Personally i would not hesitate having a beer or 2 the night before diving and make sure there's lots of hydrating going on on the day. As for just before and in between diving, i wouldn't - particularly in warmer climates. Everybody's body is different and alcohol affects different people in different ways. Like i said, i wouldn't just before and during SI's but some people may not be affected as easily as i do and can get away with it.

Scotty

[rant]Don't do it![/rant]

The first alcoholic drink of the day means the end of diving for that day

No drinking before or during diving and only several hours later to be sure no ill affects from the dive provided not diving the next day.

I guess it depends on how serious you take diving and the value you put on your life. I would not want to be part of the liability of having divers in the water that had "had a few" and failed to surface.

"but I have to deal with this more than I would have guessed."

If your running dive charters and people are showing up or having drinks between dives that is an accident waiting to happen. Most cruise ships today, even if "all inclusive" will still require guests to pay for drinks and bottles in cabins are not allowed due to safety issues. If your working on a smaller boat and providing booze between dives........

Tha worst part is is that the people drinking are more than likely putting others at a greater risk due to greater supervision, odds of a problem etc

sounds like a scary scenario

I agree totally with the dont do it. I think though in a resort atmosphere it happens more than we think, with mini bars in the rooms. It becomes a touchy situation when people are on vacation.

I don't think it is worth the risk... Why must someone feel compelled to have a drink? Dude, you can do w/out one for a day.

My feeling is that Alcohol, even a little can mess with your body chemistry. It is recognized (and really it is) as a toxin. Your body wants to get rid of it. Mix that with different pressures and levels of fatigue; I just don't wanna get bent.

In my younger days everytime I had a beer between dives I got indigestion, same with mayonaise tuna salad. I don't do either before diving anymore.

Then there was the 70's, but we won't go there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom