Diving After The Rainfall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beatlejuice

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there anywhere to safely dive Monday and/or Tuesday afte the rain we just had? L.A. County has the Rain Runoff Advisory in effect for "Three days after the last rainfall" and I would guess the other SoCal Counties would be the same. Did the rain make it to San Diego? :depressed:

Did the rain make it to San Diego? :depressed:

Just sprinkles down here, surf forecast isn't looking good though (well not for me anyway)

With the passing of the seasons first good rain event it is appropriate to remind everyone to think about the hazards that could be encountered during a dive.

Early runoff from streets and storm drains will carry oils, pesticides and other contaminates into the creeks, rivers terminating in the ocean.

As the rainy season becomes mature agricultural runoff, fecal material and high levels of bacterial contamination can be expected.

If you MUST dive it is suggested

* A week be allowed after the OK for ocean to purge it's self of near shore and off shore contaminates

* Avoid diving in the near shore waters near the creeks and streams emptying into the ocean

* After a questionable dive always wash with soap and water as soon as possible.

* Immediately rise the inner ear canal with appropriate anti- bacterial solution

* Make a concerted effort not to ingest any water you have been diving in or have made contact.

* Routinely check any cuts and scrapes for redness and swelling that may indicate infection. If persists suggest seeking medical assistance.

* Monitor long term coughs and irritated throats which are often a result of contaminated water diving.

Enjoy but be careful after a big rain that produces excessive run off..remember it is not the local runoff but that run off with it's origin many miles inland...in Riverside county and points inland that brings the bad stuff to the ocean

With the passing of the seasons first good rain event it is appropriate to remind everyone to think about the hazards that could be encountered during a dive.

Early runoff from streets and storm drains will carry oils, pesticides and other contaminates into the creeks, rivers terminating in the ocean.

As the rainy season becomes mature agricultural runoff, fecal material and high levels of bacterial contamination can be expected.

If you MUST dive it is suggested

* A week be allowed after the OK for ocean to purge it's self of near shore and off shore contaminates

* Avoid diving in the near shore waters near the creeks and streams emptying into the ocean

* After a questionable dive always wash with soap and water as soon as possible.

* Immediately rise the inner ear canal with appropriate anti- bacterial solution

* Make a concerted effort not to ingest any water you have been diving in or have made contact.

* Routinely check any cuts and scrapes for redness and swelling that may indicate infection. If persists suggest seeking medical assistance.

* Monitor long term coughs and irritated throats which are often a result of contaminated water diving.

Enjoy but be careful after a big rain that produces excessive run off..remember it is not the local runoff but that run off with it's origin many miles inland...in Riverside county and points inland that brings the bad stuff to the ocean

Great advice! Thanks!

Go boat diving after a rain it's safer.

John

I like this suggestion! BTW after the rain whether heavy or light I wait 3 days before diving or surfing. You're probably a lot more exposed to hepatitis and other diseases as a surfer because you're on the surface. I'm not sure how most pollutants sink and what depth they go to. It seems to me that a lot of the pollution is oil from car exhaust and it would stay on the surface.

Billy

.... It seems to me that a lot of the pollution is oil from car exhaust and it would stay on the surface.

Billy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It should be recognized that ingestion of petroleum products via the respiratory system will produce Lipoid Pneumonia. In all my many years of research I have never read that it was a major component or concern of surface water pollution or that it should be of concern to the water person.

Before the introduction of high flash point non petroleum products for compressor lubricants lipoid pneumonia was a major concern of the SCUBA diver. Before diving the wise and careful diver would invert his SCUBA cylinder and expel a small amount of air on to a white surface; should an oily mist appear it would indicate oil in the system and the dive was aborted

Upon ingestion of lipoids immediate pneumonia like symptoms appear. The treatment is that of a pneumonia, generally requiring long term bed rest until the pollutants are expelled from the victims respiratory system.
sdm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom