Diving after Septoplasty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FSUgly

Contributor
Reaction score
I just had a SEPTOPLASTY (straightening of a deviated septum)done this past Monday. How long should the wait be (assuming the healing process isn't interrupted by any infections, etc) before diving again? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Tom

First off consult with your ENT. I had sinus surgery including septoplasty a couple years ago. I was released by my ENT physician ( who's also a diver ) to dive 3 1/2 weeks after surgery. Every case is different, I'd get be talking to my Doc.

I am having surgery in Aug. and my
ENT said I shouldn't dive for 3 months; but then I am having a couple of different procedures. You definitely want to double check this.

:) Penny

I did ask my Doctor today and he said 2-3 weeks. Guess what I'm trying to find is if anyone has personally gone through this, and what time frame did they look at. I've only been into the diving scene for a year, and DO NOT want to take a chance with getting to some depth and having something go wrong is all. My next trip (with multiple dives) isn't planned until the first week of Aug, so that does give me an extra 2 weeks, I guess.

Thanks again,
Tom

FSU,

I had septoplasty in Sept2002. My ENT said about 6-8 weeks. I ended up waiting about 8 months(not on purpose). when I did dive I could tell no difference on descent, but on ascent my ears and sinus did equalize better. Mine has done wonders for my sinus infections. Hope yours is has successful as mine.

Back
Top Bottom