Diving after LASIK Eye Surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got4boyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
About a year ago I had LASIK eye surgery. The only side-effect I still have is dry eyes when I wake up in the morning.

However, today I went to a pool for a refresher diving course since I haven't dived in two years, and while diving my eyes were burning and felt dry.

Luckily, after about 30 minutes it went away.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had LASIK surgery and any complications while diving, and would love to hear from anyone who has any thoughts on the subject.

I hope it won't be a problem for my diving trip next week!

Immersed magazine had an article (one or two issues ago) about it. It was in depth and well written.

Eric

Bill, Thanks for giving me the info. on DAN. I put Dan's website in my favorites folder.

So according to them there should be no problem diving.

Eric, is the Immersed magazine online? I'd love to read it. THanks!

Hi got4boyz,

"Immersed" offers no online service, but you can subscribe & get back issues here---> <http://www.immersed.com/>

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Diving after LASIK is fine as long as you are post-op for at least two weeks, and if diving an a pond or a place where the water is stagnet (lots of bacteria, don't let the water get in your eyes at least a month out. If your eyes are feeling dry at any time use an artificail tear (presertive free) such as Thera Tears of Refresh Plus. I hope you are enjoying your new vision.

* If anyone has questions about LASIK ( Laser assisted in situ keratomileusis) just ask me. I work as a Certified Ophthalmic Technician and Ophthalmic surgical Technologist. I have a vast knowledge and experience with eye related problems, diseases. Fell free to ask.

I can't even describe how wonderful it is to see without contacts or glasses. I'M ESTATIC. Being as active as I am in so many different sports glasses certainly got in the way and I didn't handle contacts very well.

Since it's been almost a year, then obviously there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to dive. I just thought it was strange that they started burning soon after went diving in the pool to recertify.

Thanks again for everyone's comments!

You probably had a mild reaction to the chlorine in the pool. Some people get severe reactions, even without having had LASIK.

It is almost miraculous the results that most people get with the procedure, after years of fiddling around with thick glasses. One of my patients had obsessed with the glasses so much that she almost had a panic attack when she found that she did not need the glasses.

One of my consultants, Capt. Frank Butler, Ophthalmologist/Navy SEAL feels that the post-op waiting period should be a minimum of one month before resuming diving after LASIK. He also has the following to say about diving after the procedure:

1. He is aware of no case reports that document diving related complications after LASIK.

2. There are at least three potential complications that might occur in post-op LASIK patients as a result of diving:
- Globe rupture from facemask barotrauma (unlikely)
- Interface keratitis (infection of the flap interface)
- Flap displacement from interface bubbles

As always, you should discuss this with your eye doctor, so that he or she will be able to add any special knowledge about your specific situation that would be relevant.

Originally posted by scubadoc
You probably had a mild reaction to the chlorine in the pool. Some people get severe reactions, even without having had LASIK.

You know scubadoc, you're probably right. I've noticed that my eyes are extra sensitive to onions now too! :(

It is almost miraculous the results that most people get with the procedure[/B]

It was miraculous to me! Even though it's been a year I'm still amazed when I wake up at night and can see what time it is! LOL

Thanks for your comments. They will be helpful to others who are considering this procedure; which I HIGHLY recommend by the way.

But go with a very experienced doctor. I had several friends who went the cheaper way out and ended up having to have enhancements (everyone of them!). I went with a doctor in Houston who does many of the professional athletes in the area, and my eyes came out perfect the first time around. It was worth the extra $$$$$$! :)

I'm having Lasik done next month and I specifically asked my Dr. how long it would be before I could dive. He told me approximately 3 weeks just to be on the safe side, and that was mainly due to a concern about infection and the flap not being quite healed yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom