Diving after having Open Heart Surgery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acarter92

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and extremely new to the diving world (never dived). It's something I've been wanting to do for a very long time.

So here's the problem, I had open heart surgery when I was 2 weeks old (yes 2 weeks), had a murmer and surgery was immediately done, they actually went through my ribs (my back). The problem is fixed and I'm in great physical shape, extremely active (I'm 19). I have a yearly echo that's just precautionary. So last fall when I mention to my cardiologist about Scuba diving he said now way. No beacuse of my heart but becuase of the scar, he said that the high pressure could get into my blood and instant death. So I stopped there, figured he knew what he was doing and just moved on.

Still wanting to do it I did a little more research, I've read quite a few articles about diving after heart surgery and haven't read anything about what he said. So I'm thinking about getting a second opinion. It's something I really want to do, but it's not worth it to me if what he said is valid (even if it's only a small chance).

I figured I'd ask here before I went any further, if I don't get anything solid that says no I guess I'll talk to my doctor about it again and maybe get a second opinion.

Thanks,
Austin

Ditto on DAN, they should be able to find you an alternate resource for the proper answers.

Alright, thanks guys. I couldn't find anything specific to my problem on thier site, so I'm gonna give them a call tomarrow and go from there.

Thanks,
Austin

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and extremely new to the diving world (never dived). It's something I've been wanting to do for a very long time.

So here's the problem, I had open heart surgery when I was 2 weeks old (yes 2 weeks), had a murmer and surgery was immediately done, they actually went through my ribs (my back). The problem is fixed and I'm in great physical shape, extremely active (I'm 19). I have a yearly echo that's just precautionary. So last fall when I mention to my cardiologist about Scuba diving he said now way. No beacuse of my heart but becuase of the scar, he said that the high pressure could get into my blood and instant death. So I stopped there, figured he knew what he was doing and just moved on.

Still wanting to do it I did a little more research, I've read quite a few articles about diving after heart surgery and haven't read anything about what he said. So I'm thinking about getting a second opinion. It's something I really want to do, but it's not worth it to me if what he said is valid (even if it's only a small chance).

I figured I'd ask here before I went any further, if I don't get anything solid that says no I guess I'll talk to my doctor about it again and maybe get a second opinion.

Thanks,
Austin

I am not a Doctor, but that sounds pretty sketchy.

Get some advice from someone who knows something about diving.

I have a yearly echo that's just precautionary. So last fall when I mention to my cardiologist about Scuba diving he said now way. No beacuse of my heart but becuase of the scar, he said that the high pressure could get into my blood and instant death. So I stopped there, figured he knew what he was doing and just moved on.

Austin,
That statement in and of itself doesn't make much sense. Is it possible that you misinterpreted your cardiologist? People can and do dive after heart surgery, but there are a lot of factors. How close to UPenn are you? They have an excellent hyperbaric facility staffed by board-certified hyperbaric physicians. You may consider scheduling an appointment there. Here's a link:

Hyperbaric Medicine at Penn

May I ask what your original condition was, and exactly what kind of surgery you had done?

Best regards,
DDM

Yes, the physical presence of a surgical scar does not preclude diving -- there are lots of folks who have had C-sections or appendectomies, or like me, have had fractures fixed, who dive. There is a theoretical concern for increased decompression sickness symptoms in damaged and repaired tissue, but there is nothing in the literature to support this being a real issue for recreational divers.

The majority of congenital defects which are able to be completely corrected by surgery would have no implications on the subsequent adult patient's suitability to dive. I concur with DDM -- get a knowledgeable consultation.

Alright, thanks guys. I couldn't find anything specific to my problem on thier site, so I'm gonna give them a call tomarrow and go from there.

Thanks,
Austin

Im not a Dr., but I am an overly curious person. Something seems off - either your Dr is very unfamiliar with diving and pressure - OR - he did not do a good job at explaining why he felt your condition would be contraindicated with diving. If you feel comfortable sharing the details - please post the results of your conversation with DAN or PENN. If you are not comfortable - Thats fine and understandable.

Hi Austin,

like you I had open heart surgery as a child. I always thought I couldn't possibly dive, since a slight murmur remained - the army even refused me when I got drafted after they learned about the surgery. My doctor cleared me for diving however; she told me that my active lifestyle and good general health indicates that I am able to dive safely. You could ask for a second opinion and base your decision on that.

Like many of the rest I am no where near a doctor but it does sound more of "I have no clue so instead I'm going to CYA" than thought out medical advice to me. I have a dive buddy that had triple (quad??) bypass one April and was cleared to dive 3 months later in July. He was told to take it easy but otherwise have fun. It does help his consulting cardiologist is a dive instructor and shop owner

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom