Diving after appendectomy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acsomos

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Sub Aqua Dive Center, Thulhagiri Island Resort, Ma
# of dives
I have just had an appendectomy. Taditional method, not laparoscopy. All went well, recovery is going well, 10 days after the surgery the surgeon said i could do "normal actijvity". He had no knowledge about diving safety, though.
I am a diving instructor.
So my question is - how long before i can get back. To work?
i consulted with DAN, they said 12 weeks. However, in a similar thread here, from 2009, the recommendation was 6 weeks. That's a big difference!
So, which one is it, 6 weeks or 12? What would it depend on?

Hi acsomos,

Ten days after an open appendectomy sounds a bit soon. Did the appendix rupture prior to surgery? Were there any surgical complications, for example, bleeding? Were there any complications during recovery, like infection or dehiscence of the suture line? If it was a simple open appendectomy on an intact appendix, there were no complications with your surgery or your recovery, and you have no other medical issues, six weeks should be quite adequate. Any complications would extend your recovery time.

Best regards,
DDM

When I had mine removed, the doctor told me that he once took the appendix of a college football player who played in a bowl game the following week. He did not recommend it, though.

Hi acsomos,

Ten days after an open appendectomy sounds a bit soon. Did the appendix rupture prior to surgery? Were there any surgical complications, for example, bleeding? Were there any complications during recovery, like infection or dehiscence of the suture line? If it was a simple open appendectomy on an intact appendix, there were no complications with your surgery or your recovery, and you have no other medical issues, six weeks should be quite adequate. Any complications would extend your recovery time.

Best regards,
DDM

Hello and thank you for your advice!
The appendix did not rupture, and the only surgical complication was that the appendix was found to have adhered by the long side to the wall of the intestine, so the surgeons had to carefully separate it prior to removing it. But no bleeding, no infection, and the recovery has been adecuate: I could get up and walk within the 24 hours after the surgery, was eating normal food 48 hours after, and was released from the hospital after three days. Now, two weeks have passed and I have no more pain inside, just on skin level, around the wound site. But it seems to be healing well. There are no visible stitches, there are some internal stitches that will dissolve after some time, I was told.
On the other hand I am no athlete: I have a small, slender built (5 foot 3, 103 pounds...), and although I was in fairly good shape before the operation, handling my and my clients' equipment is definitely a strain.
What would you suggest, considering these additional factors?
Agnes

The problem with an open appendectomy is that the muscles of the anterior abdominal wall were damaged in the process of getting down to the appendix. Although the usual muscle-splitting incision doesn't actually CUT the muscles, they are weakened. The risk of going back to heavy lifting too soon is an incisional hernia. We generally recommend six weeks to allow adequate abdominal wall healing before any heavy lifting or heavy work. This is regardless of what the pathology was inside the abdomen, although rupture or abscess can prolong the time.

What would you suggest, considering these additional factors?
Agnes

Hi Agnes,

I'd just echo what TSandM said above. Speedy recovery!

Best regards,
DDM

Thank you TSandM & DDM.
Six weeks before getting back to work sounds much much better than the original 12 that DAN recommended! But of course I'll take it easy and slowly at first, perhaps doing some core exercises in the gym to rebuild muscle tone.
Thanks for your help, take care!

Thank you TSandM & DDM.
Six weeks before getting back to work sounds much much better than the original 12 that DAN recommended! But of course I'll take it easy and slowly at first, perhaps doing some core exercises in the gym to rebuild muscle tone.
Thanks for your help, take care!

Would you mind providing some follow-up on your recovery before getting back to diving?

I have a dive trip planned with about 4 weeks till I get wet and I had my appendix removed today. The trip is for pleasure and have arranged for tanks, steel 100s. The boat is a 6 pack, so likely I will have to do a back roll entry. It will be in the Atlantic, so it is likely I will have to climb the ladder in less that ideal conditions.

Any follow-up or tips would be greatly appreciated.

RRedd, sorry to hear about that. Was it laparoscopic or open?

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom