Diving after Ablation for AFib and Flutter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is important to remember that one person's successful recovery from an illness or procedure does not necessarily make it safe for anyone else to go back to diving after a similar procedure. These things are nuanced.

Yeah, you might want to ask your doc to explain. I don't understand that... it either works or it doesn't. What is it about diving that is different from every other type of physical activity, in terms of recurrent A. Fib?

I'm 64 and had a successful cardiac ablation in May. The cardiologist who did the procedure said that I'm clear now for any level of physical activity. (I workout regularly). When I mentioned diving, he said I would need more time. I understand the reasons due to the nature of the procedure itself and I won't dive until I get the all clear. Is there a general guideline (timewise) that is referred to?

Jorge
In most (not all) ablations, the septum dividing the right and left sides of the heart is pierced. You essentially get a temporary PFO. It needs time to heal over, and that is a matter of months. Are you going to get a echocardiogram with bubbles? If so, that will tell you if the hole has healed.

The replies you have gotten are from some very learned folks. That said, please remember the highest diving deaths per age group is 50-59 and the second highest 60-69 with fewer from 70-79 because few 70-79 year olds dive. Next, the second highest cause of diving deaths, after drowning, is cardiac arrest. Many of those drownings are cardiac related. So, what I will say will offend you but just because you can climb one mountain on a certain day doesn't mean you won't eat a **it sandwich and die the first time you dive because of cardiac arrest. What is your resting heart rate? What is your max heart rate? Have you had a stress test in the last six months? What is your BMI? Can you run 3 miles without stopping? I'm 55 and run 5 miles a day or bike 20 at least 5 days a week and have a resting heart rate in the 40s and diving can be tough. I road a 145 mile bike race six weeks ago and if I hadn't separated my shoulder in a 24 mph bike crash would have run a 1/2 marathon and done three other long bike races already this summer. If you're not in shape and especially if you've had heart problems don't dive. Just don't. It's not worth it. In Key Largo in March I had a dive instructor telling me how many 50 somes they'd seen die at the end of a dive trying to get back in the boat. I see way to many people diving that shouldn't be because they are overweight and out of shape let alone have heart problems. Call us back when you are running 5 miles a day 5 days a week, had a stress test, and are cleared by your cardiologist to dive.

The replies you have gotten are from some very learned folks. That said, please remember the highest diving deaths per age group is 50-59 and the second highest 60-69 with fewer from 70-79 because few 70-79 year olds dive. Next, the second highest cause of diving deaths, after drowning, is cardiac arrest. Many of those drownings are cardiac related. So, what I will say will offend you but just because you can climb one mountain on a certain day doesn't mean you won't eat a **it sandwich and die the first time you dive because of cardiac arrest. What is your resting heart rate? What is your max heart rate? Have you had a stress test in the last six months? What is your BMI? Can you run 3 miles without stopping? I'm 55 and run 5 miles a day or bike 20 at least 5 days a week and have a resting heart rate in the 40s and diving can be tough. I road a 145 mile bike race six weeks ago and if I hadn't separated my shoulder in a 24 mph bike crash would have run a 1/2 marathon and done three other long bike races already this summer. If you're not in shape and especially if you've had heart problems don't dive. Just don't. It's not worth it. In Key Largo in March I had a dive instructor telling me how many 50 somes they'd seen die at the end of a dive trying to get back in the boat. I see way to many people diving that shouldn't be because they are overweight and out of shape let alone have heart problems. Call us back when you are running 5 miles a day 5 days a week, had a stress test, and are cleared by your cardiologist to dive.
Running 5 miles per day? Horsefeathers. Diving deaths per age group has nothing to do with "how many dive". Diving should be restricted to ultramarathoners? What are you saying? Utter bollocks.

Running 5 miles per day? Horsefeathers. Diving deaths per age group has nothing to do with "how many dive". Diving should be restricted to ultramarathoners? What are you saying? Utter bollocks.
Don't argue with me. Argue with DAN on their reported deaths per age group and cause of death year after year after year.

In Key Largo in March I had a dive instructor telling me how many 50 somes they'd seen die at the end of a dive trying to get back in the boat
How many was that? How were they able to keep those deaths quiet, since they don't seem to make the local news or appear on the annual DAN fatality reports.?

I have read the DAN reports. I used to do summaries of them to talk about on ScubaBoard.

Yes, cardiac problems are the number one reason for fatalities in scuba. No question about it. They are also the number one reason for fatalities in golf and bowling. Should older people give up those activities, too?

Yes, older divers are more likely to have cardiac events than younger divers, but older sleepers are more likely to have cardiac events during the night than younger sleepers. Should older people give up sleeping?

At the same time, the age of divers in general is creeping up. I was just on a two week trip in two areas in Fiji. I doubt if I saw more than 2-3 people total who were younger than 40 there. At our second location, we watched the going away party for a group of 36 people ahead of us. I would guess there was not a single diver there younger than 55.

While the percentage of divers who are older is very high, the percentage of total divers who have fatal events is very small--miniscule. Only the tiniest fraction of dives being done by this age group results in a fatality, so the overwhelming majority of them are out having a grand time in the water without any issues.

What I said has been said before by others:

"There are many factors to consider when deciding whether or not to scuba dive with a heart condition. Some heart conditions may be completely compatible with scuba diving, while others may be a contraindication. It is important to consult with a physician who is familiar with both scuba diving and your heart condition to get the most accurate information. Generally, diving is safe for people with heart conditions, but there are some risks that need to be considered.

Divers who are nearing the end of their careers or who have previously had health issues may have difficulty swimming or exiting the water. You must have a full checkup and cardiac evaluation, including a stress test, prior to diving. Circulation in the heart is compromised after a heart attack, resulting in permanent damage to the muscle tissue.

Diving requires the heart to work extremely hard in order to perform well. Divers who have aortic or mitral valve disease are unable to dive safely because these conditions necessitate more severe heart murmurs. Diving exercises overtax the heart muscle and restrict blood flow, resulting in unconsciousness or a heart attack. Divers must be aware of their medical history and consult with a doctor before attempting to dive in order to avoid such tragedies.

Who Should Not Scuba?​

He explains that when you reach an exercise intensity of 13 METS (which corresponds to jogging for 7.5 minutes) your heart is strong enough to handle most any physical activity. It is also critical that you are symptom-free. If you are experiencing chest pain, lightheadedness, or a lack of breathlessness while exercising, you should avoid diving."
Desert Divers - Author Alex Huhn

This article as I did, recommends a stress test and that you be able to run at least 7.5 minutes. Consequently, it also says that you should not dive with any symptoms. The poster said he may have symptoms - he shouldn't dive, period, full stop. Further, the poster said he has had Afib and had an ablasion to correct heart rate with is or could be caused by aoric or mital valve disease - he shouldn't dive, period, full stop. People should be reasonable. It's okay to be reasonable. I can't run a 4:40 mile anymore, I don't try. I can't bench press 350 anymore, I don't try. I don't snow ski because my knees feel this **it. I don't try because I don't want to blow them out. Be reasonable about your age and health and what you are capable of. Getting old sucks but dying is worse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom