Diving accident on June 26, 2011 at Dive Alabama formally ABWA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vmwhitten

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have any information on what happened to the woman in the diving accident on June 26, 2011 at Dive Alabama, formally known as Alabama Blue Water Adventures (ABWA)? I am pretty certain that she died but I would like to know what happened to her. I would be greatful for any information anyone may have.

Thanks.

Does anyone have any information on what happened to the woman in the diving accident on June 26, 2011 at Dive Alabama, formally known as Alabama Blue Water Adventures (ABWA)? I am pretty certain that she died but I would like to know what happened to her. I would be greatful for any information anyone may have.

Thanks.

Did she die?

They were still doing compressions on her when they put her in the ambulance but from what I saw I don't think that she survived.

Sadly she has passed away (on Tuesday). We really don't know what happened. Anything else said at this point is speculation. I have spoken with those who tried to treat her on the scene and they have their opinions but unless a formal report is released (by family) it serves no one to release conjecture on this site. By the way, the diver's name was Jacque Files.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

EDIT: My thanks for pointing out the rules of this forum. No infringement was intended. I should have included the link as the info was public this morning:

Obituary Birmingham News

Additional info may be found on FB by doing a search for "Pray for Jacque Files" (page).

Last edited:
Special Rules for Accidents & Incidents Forum

The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.

Thank you for the information. I have no wish to exploit or gossip about what happened on Sunday but I would simply like to know what happened in hopes that I could possibly learn so that it doesn't happen to me or my family. This has forever changed the way I dive and we will be taking a Rescue Diver course just as soon as I can get one together at my local dive shop.

Thank you for the information. I have no wish to exploit or gossip about what happened on Sunday but I would simply like to know what happened in hopes that I could possibly learn so that it doesn't happen to me or my family. This has forever changed the way I dive and we will be taking a Rescue Diver course just as soon as I can get one together at my local dive shop.
That's certainly understandable, especially since you were a witness to the dreadful scene. It's generally hardest on the rescuers along with the loved ones, but just being there had to have been stressful. I've seen more than my fair share leave by ambulance, some unconscious, but fortunately all of those made it.

It seems most injuries and losses come from medical problems or failure to follow training, so - stay fit & checked, and drill on the safety procedures you were taught. So many of them were just barely covered in OW, like ditching weights and oral inflation, but they are all important - as the OW course is generally bare minimum.

Back to being impacted as a witness: Your best recovery is to talk it out - here or elsewhere. Not as a gossip no, but as one who wants to learn, and to unload as need.

best wishes

Thank you DandyDon. My husband and I made a vow that day to never let our training on safety procedures go lacking. Especially now that our children are diving with us. A good diver is always learning! My dive instructor was on the dock with them and it shook him up pretty good. We have talked about it and decided to turn it into a teaching lesson and host a diver rescue course very soon and also have a yearly refresher class. As for myself and my family, I want the safety skills so ingrained in us that it becomes second nature should something happen. I don't want to ever get to comfortable that I start skipping safety measures.

Thanks again!

I think that rescue certification is a great idea for every diver. Sadly, for those people who don't work in medicine or other fields that deal with life and death on a regular basis, it takes tragic events and near misses for some people to realize the great value in being prepared for the unexpected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom