Diving Accident Gulf Coast 8/20?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlskill1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
[h=2]Diving Accident Gulf Coast[/h]
OK. Last thread was vague. But a good friend of mine and maybe some of yours Mike (Rhett) Starnes was injured while Diving ( maybe the Oriskany) on Thursday 8/20. He is in critical condition in a hospital in Louisiana. He is on deaths door step.
Surely someone on SB knows or has heard something!
Any prayers you can spare for Mike and his family would be appreciated. Also any info anyone can share would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.
Roger

8/24: Update: Mike has opened his eyes and has responded to some commands. Not out of the woods but showing positive signs.

If anyone can shed light on this accident, we would be grateful. So far, all we know is that he was in a diving accident. Beyond that....someone knows.

sorry to hear such bad news....hope he continues to improve.

. . . a good friend of mine and maybe some of yours Mike (Rhett) Starnes was injured while Diving ( maybe the Oriskany) on Thursday 8/20. He is in critical condition in a hospital in Louisiana.
OMG! Very sorry to hear this. I know, and have dove with, Rhett many times off the NC coast. I hope that someone can post more details of the accident so we can better understand what happened. He is a good, conscientious diver.

I'm pretty active in the Pensacola dive community, but this is the first I've heard of this. Was this a decompression injury, or did he suffer some type of physical trauma?

I am a good friend of Rhett's as well. I was actually dm'ing some of his earlier classes. All I know at this point is it was on the oriskany. He is doing much better. He's off the ventilator, talking and responding and starting to get feelings in his extremities. He still needs our prayers.

Reactions: Jax
I'm one his dm's from his early classes. He is off then ventilator, talking and responded and his feelings in his extremities is starting to return. He still needs our prayers.

I am a good friend of Rhett's as well. ... He is doing much better. He's off the ventilator, talking and responding and starting to get feelings in his extremities. ...

Please tell your friend that we are all thinking about him and pulling for him. I hope he feels better soon.

Does anyone have a provisional diagnosis to explain the paralysis? The Oriskany is fairly deep. Was he severely bent?

Again, best wishes to your friend, and please keep us posted.

I am a good friend of Rhett's as well. I was actually dm'ing some of his earlier classes. All I know at this point is it was on the oriskany. He is doing much better. He's off the ventilator, talking and responding and starting to get feelings in his extremities. He still needs our prayers.

I've asked around, and all of my people said that this is the first they've heard of it. I'm assuming he was on a private boat? The charter community in Pensacola is pretty close, and I'd be surprised if this was a charter, and I still didn't have details.

I am curious to know if he was a technical diver, and/or if this was a technical dive.

Please tell your friend that we are all thinking about him and pulling for him. I hope he feels better soon.

+1

Does anyone have a provisional diagnosis to explain the paralysis? The Oriskany is fairly deep. Was he severely bent?

** This is an attempt to answer your question, and by no means is a comment on what may, or may not have happened to Mr. Barnes. **

Depending on where you are on the ship, it's 206 to 220ft to the sand. 145 to 150ish on the Flight Deck, and the floor of the Hangar Deck is 170 to 174ish. You can get yourself in serious trouble at any of these depths, and, of course, much shallower.

What I see most is recreational divers going into decompression, and not doing their required stops. On the better boats, the DM's try to catch it before, or while the diver is getting out of the water, and find a way to get the guy back in asap, and breathing with enough gas to work off his obligation, sometimes bringing additional bottles down. I've seen this WAY too many times, and the DM's warn folks about this 100 times before the boat gets tied in. People don't watch their gas, don't know how to read their computers, or draw a blank when their comp tells them they have a required stop.

Now, to get back on track, and answer your question more directly (remember, I'm a layman. I'm not an instructor, physician, or expert in anything). When you're underwater breathing compresses gas, inert gasses (nitrogen, helium) begin to work their way into your tissues. The amount of loading is related to what you're breathing (the percentage of Nitrogen or Helium in your mix), time, and depth. So time, mix, and depth govern your uptake. In recreational diving, your stay is short, and shallow, so you can ascend directly to the surface (at a safe rate) without any required pauses at any particular depth.

Where humans run into trouble, is when we start back up. If we move up faster than those gases can work their way out of our tissues, then the tissues are damaged. On helium dives, you have to be very careful, because it moves into, and out of the tissues very quickly. Nitrogen is more forgiving, but it will take you longer to offgas, because it's slower into and out of your tissues.

As we ascend, the atmospheric pressure falls, this allows the inert gasses to leave the tissues, where the blood, and respiration (exhalation) evacuate them from the body. Move too fast, and the gasses outrun the body's ability to manage those gasses. One of the failure points is the nervous system, another is the joints. Nerve tissue and joints don't do well vs. expanding gasses. Sometimes the bubbles themselves cause the damage, and sometimes the bubbles interfere with your blood, keeping much-needed oxygen away from critical components (brain, spine, heart). Oxygen therapy, and recompression combined with oxygen therapy, can sometime reverse, or partially reverse the damage.

There are other mechanisms that can promote, or trigger decompression sickness, but the injuries themselves, are a result of what I have described above.

-h

From Mike (Rhett's) sister, Teri

Saturday 8/29/15: Mike is continuing to get feeling back in his body. The pain meds are starting to work better too. Thank you for the abundance of love / prayers ..... ☀☀☀☀����������������������������
‪#‎GloryToGod‬
‪#‎MikeStarnes‬'sMiracle

Back
Top Bottom