Diving 4 days in January- should we stay in Krabi, Phuket or Khao Lak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heymo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are ending our 3 week trip to Thailand and Cambodia scuba diving.It's our first time there- where should we base out of? We are not planning on diving a liveaboard, we didn't think we had enough time. I was thinking if we wanted to dive the Similans we should stay in Khao Lak, but I'm concerned it might be too quiet there!

Any suggestions?

A very good friend of mine (and an Aquanauts IDC grad) ran the Khao Lak branch of a big Scandinavian dive company in Khao Lak this high season and loved it.

Day trips to the Similans? Can't beat that.

Khao Lak is back. There was a big feature in the Bangkok Post just yesterday (search their website) on how Khao Lak has now recovered from the tsunami and tourist numbers are what they used to be. The place had 100% occupancy through much of high season this year and there are about 3,300 more hotel rooms opening for next season.

There's no gogo or beer bars, I think 1 disco so don't go there for nightlife. But if you want great diving during the day and b-e-a-u-tiful beaches, you will be quite happy.

Personally, I like Phuket for a short holiday. I stay in Patong and dive with Dive Asia. Get good day trips, but have plenty of good restaurants, music places and bars at night. It's not quite the same "complete package" as it is here in Pattaya -- fun diving in the day and fun all night is why many divers choose Pattaya -- but it's a good getaway.

As for Krabi, Krabi Town is not where you want to go. It's Ao Nang. Never been, but my friends throught it was beautiful.

Whereever you go, though, book early. January is quite busy.

Depends what you would like to day:
Similan daytrips: go to Khao Lak;
daytrips to other sites like Shark Point, Bid a Nai, Bida Nok, King Cruiser etc. plus maybe one daytrip to Similans: go to Phuket.

But why not do a liveaboard? The diving will be better, and it is much more relaxing than daytrips. If the 'standard' 4 days/4 nights is too much, you can also make shorter trips these days.

I guess my problem with a liveaboard is since it's our first time there I would like to see some of the area as well. I'd like to maybe do some kayaking, etc.
I'd like to book this weekend if possible...any suggestions?

I guess my problem with a liveaboard is since it's our first time there I would like to see some of the area as well.
In that case, make a shorter liveaboard trip, like 2 days/1 night. You will find this much more relaxing than daytrips. And if you decide to make a (short) liveaboard trip, your base is not that important anymore as it would be if you were to make daytrips to the Similans. That means, you could stay somewhere else, and enjoy other diving areas than the Similans, see some of the rest of the area, make a kayak trip, etc.

Krabi is beautifull, Phuket is the most touristic place in Thailand, not realy my cup of tea... You might want to consider the Phi Phi island as well.

somewhereinla:
Krabi is beautifull, Phuket is the most touristic .... place in Thailand, not realy my cup of tea... You might want to consider the Phi Phi island as well.

Phuket is the most touristic diving place. Bangkok leads for No. of tourists two times at least i can say. sorry, for going of topic

i have went to phuket in jan for the last five years. always enjoy great diving and i tend to like the nite life there. i always stay at the summer breeze in patong and dive with dive asia. hotel is right in the middle of patong, so if you want a little peace and quite, you might want to go to kata or karon. dive asia will pick you up from the hotel and take you to the boat.
day trips to the king crusier and and other sites are great. they can also book you an overnite on phi phi. scuba cat used to run liveaboards to the simileans. get on a speed boat for the ride out and when you were ready to come back they bring you in. can't speak for the accommodations as i have never used them.
there are several tour operators that can take you all around the island. you can also rent a motor bike relatively cheap and drive yourself, but if you are not pretty experinced on a bike i wouldn't try driving there, local drivers are worse than detroit natives.

i think koh phi phi could be a good option the day trips are very close leave at 08:00 and be back around 13:30 for two nice dives around the bida islands or phi phi ley .
and phi phi is a very good place to stay .

Phi Phi Islands are beautiful dive sites, especially in January when the conditions are good. The dive days are much shorter from Phi Phi as scuba_walter said, otherwise the days from Ao Nang or Phuket out to Phi Phi are very long but still a good day on the boat.

I have spent the season diving here and living in Ao Nang and the diving really is beautiful, other places in Thailand just don't compare.

I would recommend diving on the Andaman Sea side whether it's from Phi Phi (small island getaway), Ao Nang (very Scandaavian in Jan), Phuket (has a bit of everything and great beaches too), Koh Lanta (close to Hin Muang & Hin Daeng) or the Similans, I would recommend here over anywhere else in Thailand although Koh Samui, Koh Phangan & Koh Tao hae great diving too :D on Koh Phangan you can dive right off the beach on the North West Coast by Had Yao up to Koh Maa.

You can see some videos of diving around the Phi Phi Island dive sites on www.theaquaplanet.com, The Bida group being the best I would have to say.

Here's a a few links to some videos;

http://www.theaquaplanet.com/view_video.php?viewkey=8efacc9b924ec161e763
http://www.theaquaplanet.com/view_video.php?viewkey=c5280214e0486b273a5f
http://www.theaquaplanet.com/view_video.php?viewkey=af2f3114485aa4e0a23b

There's loads more on the site...

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom