Diving 4 days in January- should we stay in Krabi, Phuket or Khao Lak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out Koh Lanta too - very chilled out and excellent diving at Koh Ha, Hin Daeng/Hin Muang and also close to the Bidas/Phi Phi too - Lanta

Sticking with Khao Lak - does anyone know how long it takes to drive from Khao Lak up to Ranong ??

stevenl:
Have done it in the past for visaruns, so digging deep from memory: would say 3-4 hours.
Cheers for the very swift answer ! Visa runs is why I was asking !! So it's a car job, rather than jump on the old scooter !!

I'll second Ko Phi Phi and thrid or forth Ao Nang, both are really pretty and not as busy as some of the other spots.

my wife and i based out of Railey (10 minute longtail out of Ao Nang) in January and we'll be going back there for our next trip (the rock climbing there was insanely good too)

have fun.

Ty

I would go for Koh Phi Phi as the diving is good, and it is a nice place to stay at the moment. A couple of months ago the island was packed with tourists as it was the high season. It is much better now as there is lesser tourists and the weather is still good.

Good local diving and several times a week to King Cruiser, Hin Daeng/Hun Muang and Koh Ha. You can also rent kayaks and so on.

tavarish:
I would go for Koh Phi Phi as the diving is good, and it is a nice place to stay at the moment. A couple of months ago the island was packed with tourists as it was the high season. It is much better now as there is lesser tourists and the weather is still good.

Good local diving and several times a week to King Cruiser, Hin Daeng/Hun Muang and Koh Ha. You can also rent kayaks and so on.

Tavarish - The OP is looking at coming in January when all of these areas are packed with tourists due to the high season then.

Heymo since you are only coming for a couple of days in January I recommend the Khao Lak area so that you can get the shorter trips to The Simlans. You can do this from Phuket but in all honestly these boats cater more for the cattle markets. IQ divers in Khao Lak offer the shorter trips as well and I highly recommend them. Owners Heinz and Ernst have been operating up there for many years.

Hope this helps.

Chantal

Hi Everyone

I would highly recommend diving in Koh Phi Phi if you only have 4 days in Thailand. The marine park of Koh Phi Phi is one of the renowned dive sites of Thailand, people travel from Phuket, Koh Lanta, Krabi and Ao Nang to dive the marine park.
From all these destinations the journey is 2 hours by boat however if you stay on Koh Phi Phi Don, the dive sites are a mere 15 to 20 minutes away.
Around our local sites we have leopard sharks, blacktip reef sharks, hawksbill turtles, resident seahorses and much much more.

We also organise trips to Hin Daeng and Muang which is graced frequently by the presence of Mantas and the occasional whale shark.

For more information on Phi Phi Diving check out www.blueviewdivers.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom