Diving 1-6 or 7-06??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy:
lets give Stillhouse Hollow Lake a try...it is 2 hours south of Arlington off I-35 near Belton,,,,they have a nice dive shop. Here is a link:
http://www.scubadiversparadise.net/default.asp
What kind of profile are you guys talking about? I did my OW checkouts here and would like to go back, but I suspect you are out of my league. Any other newbies who might be interested in Stillhouse this weekend?

Willie

wet-willie:
What kind of profile are you guys talking about? I did my OW checkouts here and would like to go back, but I suspect you are out of my league. Any other newbies who might be interested in Stillhouse this weekend?

Willie

Hey Willie.... as to the location you are ahead of us both on diving there,,,,this will be our first time to dive SHL. We plan to be there around 9:45amish Sat.,,,,we will be in my lt. blue 94' well worn Taurus,,,,and you are welcome to join us. We will visit the shop,,,,tote the gear and make a dive before noon,,,then 1 or 2 more dives after the noon hour,,,,,,all shore diving..... John and I don't feel like DiveYaking across to the dam in drysuits--lol! Alan

Willie!
By all means, grab your gear and get out to Stillhouse Saturday morning. We'll see you there. And don't worry about the dive profiles. We're not doing anything strenuous. Trust me.

See you there! 9:45. Look for the Light Blue Ford Taurus
Is anyone else monitoring this thread?? Interested in diving Stillhouse??
JR

Man, I can tell everybody is back at work today....
The number of posts at all the forums have exploded.
All the while I've been off work and hangin' out the place here has been sorta dry but as soon as everybody is back to work they are back on the computer wishing they were on vacation again :D
Hey ... I'm a no show for Stillhouse Hollow this weekend though that sounds really cool !!
I might sneek out Saturday or Sunday and try to scout out a spot close to home.
Give me a yell if you change your plans or when you want to head North sometime OK :wink:

Timeliner:
Man, I can tell everybody is back at work today....
The number of posts at all the forums have exploded.
All the while I've been off work and hangin' out the place here has been sorta dry but as soon as everybody is back to work they are back on the computer wishing they were on vacation again :D
Hey ... I'm a no show for Stillhouse Hollow this weekend though that sounds really cool !!
I might sneek out Saturday or Sunday and try to scout out a spot close to home.
Give me a yell if you change your plans or when you want to head North sometime OK :wink:

Hey Frank...we gave you a chance earlier in this thread....for you to pick a spot and us come north to Paris--gee,,,,,,,,,,,you will be missed (course you change your mind, meet us),,,but the season is young still......let us know when and were up by Paris we can dive with you,,,,plus i want to see those fossel beds you go too--ok.

Cool Alan ... We'll do !!
Ya'll have fun. It'll be a good weekend for diving.
Catch next time :14:

wet-willie:

Willie

Spring break... March 11- on... Comal river... anyone interested? Even though you all missed my birthday... Jan 4... yes, that was it...

So guys how was Stillhouse Hollow? A dive report please

Okay Teresa!
Here's a dive report just for you and the rest of the Scubaboard Gang:

TexDiveGuy insisted that I show up at his house at 7:00am this morning! This necessitated me getting out of bed at 5:45. Geeez!!! It's Saturday! Don't I get to sleep in? We drove from Arlington down Stillhouse Hollow Lake arriving about 9:30am. We discovered that the local dive shop there doesn't open until 10:00am so we wandered around the marina a bit. Mike, the dive shop designated operator showed up around 9:45 and was gracious enough to give us a site briefing. Thanks Mike!

Diveguy and I wandered over to the scubapark just outside the marina and began to set our gear up. We finally got in the water. Air temp was close to 80 degrees. It was a nice, bright, sunny day. All in all just really good dive weather. Water temp was 54 F. Visibility 12 ft.

The scuba park isn't well segregated from the open lake but the slew of bass boaters out today really seemed to respect the dive area and our dive flag so I got no complaints. The park has a couple of training platforms in 17 feet of water. Part of this shallow depth, I am sure has do to the low lake levels (can we say drought?). The park has a couple of old, scuttled boats, an old motorcycle, airplane propeller and few things shown on the map that we didn't find. All in all, it's not really a bad place. The marina has a restaurant on site so that served well for feeding time after our dives.

We completed our first dive which was really just a swimming tour of the facility. The LDS there has strung guide ropes between the underwater attractions so that makes underwater navigation easy. There was some hydrilla present so that presented a small nuisance at times. This was a shallow dive. I don't think we ever got deeper than 35 ft and most of the time I think we were around 20 - 25 ft.

The second dive was really just another swimming tour. WetWillie joined TexDiveGuy and I for the second dive and for lunch after the dive. All in all, this was just a nice casual dive day.

The only complaint I have about this site is the fact that you really do have to hike your dive gear from the car to the water - probably about 120 yds (think football field here). It probably wouldn't be that bad in the summer or spring; but with dry suits and all of the additional lead weight, it makes for a long hike.

JR

richerso summed it all up...great day of diving with buds. I am sure John would agree...wet-willie is really a nice fellow,,,,an able diver and hopefully other Swampers will get the chance to meet and dive with him. Stillhouse is worth the trek for a differnt place to dive and explore,,,,I will be back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom