Dives during Full Moon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sara_lee86

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'll be doing a livaboard to Similan in May. One of the trip I'm looking at heads out on a full moon (May 13). Now May is a pretty unpredictable month for diving to begin with, should I steer clear of the full moon. I'm just wondering if it will be rougher seas.

Thanks!!

Sara

Quite the opposite. Seas are known to be "settled" during a full moon. the calendar month/weather history & pattern rules, however.

Unless you are a Werewolf, it should be pretty cool.
You just reminded me, I'll be diving in th Philippines with a full moon.

Tides are larger during both new moon and full moon, so current may be higher.

For the normal night dive times of shortly after sunset, the best moon phase is a few days before full moon --- then the moon will be well up in the sky at sunset.

For predawn dives, the moon give the best lighting around the 3rd quarter.

The moon phase is all very well, but by mid May you have a 50:50 chance of being in the low season already. If the winds have shifted and the SW monsoon started, then it could well be rough. Which boat are you booked on?

There are still liveaboards going out in May? Last year when I was there in late-April, some have already stopped. So ended up doing day trips, was not as harsh as I imagined though.

pinklizard:
There are still liveaboards going out in May? Last year when I was there in late-April, some have already stopped. So ended up doing day trips, was not as harsh as I imagined though.

Some Liveaboard operators are now having the Similans on their schedule year-round. If they go depends mainly on the number of divers booked on their boat. May and June are in general slow months for the Phuket dive industry.
May thru October weather can be quite nasty at times but there are also long stretches of fine calm seas and sunny skies. "Rainy" season in Thailand does NOT mean that it's raining 24/7 for 6 months in a row...

Rainy season is normally quite nice. The reason most reputable operators will not schedule during that time is the risk factor. One risks cancellation, postponement, heavy seas, or worse. (Plus there's really no one around, so barely any chance of full boats or making a profit). I have been out in the summer and had good trips, have also had 3 days hiding behind island 8, diving beacon reef 8 times!

Pink Lizard - late April should be just fine, but again, many boats will just not have enough guests to run trips. Season will change sometime in May.

Oh, and full moon seems to be best time for whalesharks......

Batfish Oh:
Dear Batfish,

Full moon best time for whalesharks?

I'd LOVE to know where you got that one from!

And uhm... let's not mention/promote whalesharks too much for this area because honestly; they're not all that commonly seen here anymore since 1999.

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom