Divers with Service Dogs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed,

Another organization to try would be The WAVES Project (Wounded American Vets Experience SCUBA). Their mission is getting vets with various disabilities, including PTSD, in the water. Lots of good things can happen when you get wounded vets in the water. Ron or Steve may have some ideas for you. They are based in So Cal, but I'm sure they would be happy to try to help.

WAVES project

The Palms at Pelican Cove on St. Croix is a pet friendly resort that would welcome you and your dog. While we (St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures) have never had a service dog accompany a diver on our boat we would be more than happy to give it a try. We've had several dogs on the boat, most loved it and swim around while the divers are down, another one (our current shop dog Nitrox) absolutely hates boats. We'd be more than willing to work with you and your dog and would enjoy doing so.

Edward

I have been following this thread with interest....it seems as if you have some really positive developments. I wish you and Smokey all of the luck and happiness that you both so obviously deserve. Do plea s e let us know how you get on.

Best wishes across the Atlantic to you both xx

Thanks for starting a very worth while thread. No doubt others will be reading this thread and gaining knowledge and ideas because of your willingness to "put yourself out there". Good luck on your quest and please do let us know how it turns out whether you chose to continue to dive or not:flowers:

Many years ago, I dived with a company in Hawaii that had a pet dog on board that belonged to the owner. She was smallish and I'm a dog lover so didn't find her as annoying as some of the other divers did, since she barked...a lot. I am quite familiar with service dogs as I am the chair of a charitable foundation that funds them (among other human-canine initiatives). I'm guessing that you might find a way to work through this as you go through the OW training. I think it can be done. Presumably the place you did your discover dive experience is dog friendly and I think you could do it step by step. Starting with your pool training, then some shore dives. That should determine how the dog will deal with your diving. If you can get certified, and then want to do some boat dives, approach various dive ops and ask what they would want in terms of the dog. Years ago I dived with a company in Aruba that specialized in divers with disabilities. The guy I dive with in Cozumel is a dog lover (has 2), and I have seen a couple of disabled divers on the boat. One was certified as a DM!

I've seen a dog on a boat (from the boat's captain). It was fine. And heck, we Portuguese even have a dog breed used by fishermen in the past to help them with their work, the Portuguese water dog (the breed Obama has). Maybe you should get one as well :) But if your dog can get used to being on a boat and to see you go underwater, which apparently has when you were on the pool?, it should be ok!

Hey all, I know this thread is super old, but seeing as when I started the adventure of taking my service dog diving with me this was literally the ONLY place in the entire black hole of the internet I could even find a discussion on it, I felt it needed to be brought back to life and I'd love to know what anyone else's experiences are including any super great dive operators you have come across.

My situation is very similar to the original poster. I have a 3 year old service dog named Zeke. He is about 65 lbs. Zeke is not trained for anything that specifically I could see him using while we are on the dive trip (but hey you never know with him sometimes he pulls out things I never knew I needed). A couple of skills however that helped us be able to do this are a lot of skills that most handlers use in everyday life (ie the ability to curl up under a table, or under an airplane seat). The other huge thing has been willingness of the dive ops and the captains. I also work in aquatics for a living so he is frequently exposed to my being underwater and that no longer phases him. Boats also don't particularly worry him as long as he is tucked away enough to keep himself steady. However, that being said he is invaluable in getting me there and as a part of the trip that this dive is a part of. For example, restaurants for the most part freak me out for varying reasons and some of his tasks specifically include mitigating situations that may arise there, so while I obviously don't need him underwater, when it comes to lunch after or walking along a crowded dock, he is essential. My boyfriend and I will be enjoying an entire weekend away, and there is no reason for me to have to struggle through a whole weekend just because one task takes slightly more effort to coordinate than the average persons. Our first commercial and upcoming trip is a snorkel and dive with American Pro Divers in Crystal River, FL. They have been absolutely wonderful communicating with me about what tasks he is trained to assist me with as well as making sure that they could accommodate him and being completely transparent with me on what to realistically expect. I will definitely update after the fact with how it went and some things that I wish I had brought or known before the fact.

Edward

I have been following this thread with interest....it seems as if you have some really positive developments. I wish you and Smokey all of the luck and happiness that you both so obviously deserve. Do plea s e let us know how you get on.

Best wishes across the Atlantic to you both xx
Well 6 years later I have not started Scuba classes due to my Doctors and several deaths in the family but I have new Doctors now that are more open minded to scuba. Sadly I lost Smokey to an infection that went from his intestines to his heart. I am in the process off doing the paperwork and deciding between two local dive schools.

Well 6 years later I have not started Scuba classes due to my Doctors and several deaths in the family but I have new Doctors now that are more open minded to scuba. Sadly I lost Smokey to an infection that went from his intestines to his heart. I am in the process off doing the paperwork and deciding between two local dive schools.
Hope you can get the training and find diving enjoyable. I don’t have a boat (hopefully just yet), and sorry to hear about Smokey but if I did, a service animal would be welcome on board. I’ve only known a few people with them but they are always the best animals (and owners).
Best of luck in your diving endeavors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom