Divers Riding Whale Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought the same thing, but when I was in the DR I had to step back. I talked to some of the handlers and was really impressed with the knowledge and relationship they had with the dolphins. I didn't ride them personally but they have a pin on the shoal out before the reef edge. They let all the dolphins go before the hurricane, and they came back all of them. Some of the dolphins are rescued dolphins from Miami. So how do we know they don't also enjoy the human interaction and easy meals? Who are we to say you can't rescue dolphins in the wild and give them a home like you would a dog?

I think the point here is that human interaction with dolphins has changed their natural behaviour. Some people would say that's good and some would say it's bad. In this case I honestly don't know, but for this group of dolphins it's already done. As far as other "wild" creatures go I prefer to interfere with them as little as possible, when I'm in their natural environment. Just my way of doing things, nothing more, nothing less.

I live on a lake. We have wild Canadian Geese. They are a nuisance animal. People in the neighborhood feed them. Feeding them makes them stay here. The geese have easily survived without our help, they do not need to be fed. If they are destined to die, so be it.

The dolphins come back because they are not stupid, they know where the free meal is, just like a stupid goose.

I'm not opposed to saving an animal, but if it will never live in the wild again, I don't see the point in saving it just to keep it as an exploited pet.
Exactly - harboring an injured dolphin is one thing - but most are captured in the wild and separated from their pods. Dolphins are naturally wide ranging animals not meant to be kept in confined swimming pools. And certainly no need to ride the ones in captivity as is done. Lot's of good info out there on the subject if one chooses to research it:

Ten reasons why dolphins shouldn't be in captivity

Facts About Dolphin Captivity | Dolphin Project

Dolphin FAQ

It's 2018, we should be smarter as a society at this point.

The whale doesn't appear to be bothered by the divers. If it was I'd think it would be swimming erratically, twisting, turning, changing depths in order to rid itself of the 'threat'. It's casually swimming, even feeding. It probably views the divers as no different from the cleaner fish that are always on and around it.

That much being said, the law is the law, and ignorance is no excuse. They broke the law, they did the crime, they do the time.

The Ningaloo study was quite a good read - comparing tourism interactions and future behavioural trends to donsol and cenderwasih makes me happy our interactions are so heavily regulated.

As far as the Indo case...hmm..,singer of a popular Indo band getting a publicity shot? Turns out he got a spanking from the formidable Susi - I fully support coming down hard on a public figure so legions of fans don't try and do the same.

My argument is not a straw man argument, I am saying its quite hypocritical to not let people ride whale sharks responsibly because you "think" its bad for them while they simultaneously litter the oceans with plastic that actually kills marine life.

Your argument contains the logical fallacy that "two wrongs somehow make a right" or "bad behavior is permissable because of other bad behaviors"

It's like the guy who gets pulled over for speeding and says to the cop "Why don't you leave me alone and go after drug dealers, rapists and murderers".

I'll interject my two cents here. First of all, the video posted in the OP wasn't video of the story being discussed. merely one like it. In the video, I will agree that it indeed doesn't appear that the shark was at all "bothered" by the divers, but it can't exactly tell us that information, either. So we're left to merely assume. We still don't know all that much about them from what I understand. But on the flip side, I think there were too many divers "riding" the whale shark in the video. I think one-on-one interaction would be much more preferable than a whole group of divers surrounding the shark at once. I'm not saying I completely agree with riding them, but I don't entirely disagree either. maybe they do enjoy the interaction. Pick just about any species of animal on the planet that we know about and I'd bet 90% of them have shown some sort of positive response to human interaction. The point is not all human interaction is bad or negative, even regarding marine life. I think if it can be approached in a responsible and very careful manner, then it shouldn't necessarily be outlawed or frowned upon. But it's all dependent upon the diver. And let's face it, lots of tourists are careless and only concerned about what's best for them. Or maybe just uninformed. Maybe someone should devise a "class" on how to properly interact with these beautiful and majestic creatures. It could be a positive thing for both the sharks and us.

Interaction is fine is along as you do it in a responsible manner.

Seriously? These @ssholes are not “interacting” with an endangered species, nor is there anything remotely responsible in their behavior. They are purposely posing for the camera strictly to feed their insatiable narcissism. You defend the indefensible. Then you justify your position by changing the narrative to shark fin soup?

Back
Top Bottom