Divers missing in Zanzibar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Santa:
It's a load off my back you should say so.

Like the shop I work for they were PADI, and my immediate feeling was they sorta deserved some kind of reporting - mainly to prevent future accidents.

However, from what I've heard, since they mainly played a role as boatsmen whereas the divers had bought the trip and subsequent dives from us it may not legally be a "padi problem" which leaves us some sort of police report, I guess.

The operation did brief us to the divesite at my request - but the legal responsibility in terms of liability releases and all that remained with us - or so I've been led to believe??

An interesting point, regarding diving as a profession, is that a one of that guys I was working with was reluctant to report out of fear of being branded a "flamer" for telling. How often does fear of winding up out of work indfluence reporting ...

Kullen by the way is no more remote a location to copenhagen than your average boat site divesites - thirty minutes to an hour, weather permitting. THe Local harbour is even closer - success and affordability comes down to the capacity of the boat and the duration of stay ...

Yours
Santa

Main thing here, I think, is to prevent future accidents, if you can. If they are ONLY functioning as boat operators, that needs to be made clear BEFORE, when booking, certainly by departure time. It seems, from your account, they even failed in that capacity.

I wasn't so much talking about a remote site but dive ops that do not do a lot of business, which would mean limited skill level of DM's, staff etc.

Santa:
However, from what I've heard, since they mainly played a role as boatsmen whereas the divers had bought the trip and subsequent dives from us it may not legally be a "padi problem" which leaves us some sort of police report, I guess.

I understand Sweden isn't where I am, and laws and regulations differ, but would reporting the situation to the Coast Guard or other regulatory agency be worth doing? I would think whatever agency deals with boating safety would be as interested to know about unsafe professional boat handling practices above the surface as PADI is with unsafe professional practices below. Since they were hired to take your group, that puts some significant responsibility on their shoulders to ensure their craft and procedures are able to handle what they have contracted to perform.

Just my thoughts.

pilot fish:
Thanks for that interesting, and harrowing, account. I don't know how you could avoid a situation like that? How could you ever know they'd be that unprofessional? What agency are they affiliated with SSI, PADI? Maybe a report to that agency will prevent them from doing this kind of thing in the future? I'm going to guess they don't get a lot of dive traffic? Maybe a clue is to stay away from dive ops and sites so far off the dive track?

Come to think of it: Its a popular site but with only two dive ops. This one being the cheaper I fear they get lot's of traffic. They were even recommended in a local dive magazine (goes to show magazines survive by inspiring - not by challenging)

I wanna go to Comodo
santa

divetahoe:
I understand Sweden isn't where I am, and laws and regulations differ, but would reporting the situation to the Coast Guard or other regulatory agency be worth doing? I would think whatever agency deals with boating safety would be as interested to know about unsafe professional boat handling practices above the surface as PADI is with unsafe professional practices below. Since they were hired to take your group, that puts some significant responsibility on their shoulders to ensure their craft and procedures are able to handle what they have contracted to perform.

Just my thoughts.

That's a good idea. I agree with you.

Santa:
Come to think of it: Its a popular site but with only two dive ops. This one being the cheaper I fear they get lot's of traffic. They were even recommended in a local dive magazine (goes to show magazines survive by inspiring - not by challenging)

I wanna go to Comodo
santa

If you think their operation will lead to an accident because of improper and dangerous activities, then you need to do the right thing.

pilot fish:
If you think their operation will lead to an accident because of improper and dangerous activities, then you need to do the right thing.

You're both right

I shall look into it.

Regards santa

pilot fish:
Let us know how you make out?

Will do. May take a week or so though (working several jobs)

Thanks for caring
Santa

Santa:
Will do. May take a week or so though (working several jobs)

Thanks for caring
Santa

Santa,

Would you mind telling which LDS's were involved? As a local diver contemplating going to Kullen with a dive op next time due to our club boat situation I would very much like to know whom to avoid. If you prefere you can PM me. - I might even know you since I'm been diving out of Copenhagen the last 10-11 years :wink:

DameDykker:
Santa,

Would you mind telling which LDS's were involved? As a local diver contemplating going to Kullen with a dive op next time due to our club boat situation I would very much like to know whom to avoid. If you prefere you can PM me. - I might even know you since I'm been diving out of Copenhagen the last 10-11 years :wink:

Hej damedykker. Det kan jeg godt, men hvordan er det nu ige man gør det ...?

regards

Back
Top Bottom