divers missing in egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania:
Yeah I read this. It's true - Brothers Island is one of the most beautiful places but - as I also wrote at the beggining - not an easy place to dive. If any of you experienced strong currents (which is a common thing) in Thistlegorm - so they are almost nothing compare to what can be there - deep south of Egypt.

And I'll be in Sinai on Friday.....
I can't wait
Mania

I have to say this accident is not very encouraging. As I said before, I am going there in three weeks and although I am very exited to see one of the most beautifull places in the world, now I am also quite nervous. I dove in "many" areas in the world, some were difficult and some where not....but this story is not really helping for my self-confidence (especially the down-wards currents Mania is talking about are worrying me). What I am wondering....if it is really that dangerous, why are they still diving there?! Are there no encouraging stories what so ever?

Make sure you go with an experienced and serious dive guide and you will be allright, especially when you use your own common sense. Hundreds of thousands of divers visit the Red Sea every year. Chance of incidents like this is very small, I think even smaller than having a car accident...I think the risk is very acceptable.

Komt goed meid, niet van wakkerliggen!

Rirarianneke:
What I am wondering....if it is really that dangerous, why are they still diving there?! Are there no encouraging stories what so ever?

C'mon there is no point for panicking!!!! the place is gorgeous and simply try to behave rationally. Don't go too far from the reef itself (currents are always weaker close to the wall) to have a closer look at the shark or other animals you could see further.
stick to your buddy and your guide. Local guides are quite good, they know places, currents and so on.
It's simply worth knowing that there are strong currents so if there would be none the more pleasure you would have.
Mania

I really recommend that you dive there. You will really like it. Guides there are experts and very familliar with the dive sites. Just relax and have fun. It is a dive site like many dive sites. When I was there, We had a couple of English tourists they were a little old but they really enjoyed the dives there on both the brother Islands. Keep in your mind the following:

1. Listen to the briefing carefully.
2. You and your buddy stick together under any conditions.
3. Stay close to the reef as possible, Don't go out in the blue under any conditions. unless if you are headding to the boat.
4. Don't fully depend on the guide during the dive, depend on the buddy next to you.
5. Don't try to make any deep dive (Max depth 30), To be safe if there is any downward current or what is called (down stream current).
6. I don't know whats your gender, but take care of what part of the month are you because there are many sharks there. I hope you know what I mean and I appologies for saying this, but it is really important.

I hope you really like diving there. you dove in many places and I am sure that you have good experience in doing this. It isn't that hard.

gehadoski:
I really recommend that you dive there. You will really like it. Guides there are experts and very familliar with the dive sites. Just relax and have fun. It is a dive site like many dive sites. When I was there, We had a couple of English tourists they were a little old but they really enjoyed the dives there on both the brother Islands. Keep in your mind the following:

OK, thanks people. This is what I needed! It's always wrong to start your dive with a restless feeling (I experienced it years ago and of course in the end it was a horrible dive that ended in a "uncontrolled" ascent (watch the "" = nothing bad happened) And although I have been diving in many places afterwards (also the difficult dives) it is something that I will never forgot. And like all experiences, I learned a lot from this but it gave me just that little bit extra more common sense.
Anyway, I will not underestimate it but your stories did help for my panicy feeling :wink:
of course, if you have more tips just let me know

http://www.oysterdiving.com/availability.html

The Real Story As Lived from the Head Office

- 10.50 AM, Khaled Samy, president of the owning company received call
from Amr Bary, Dive Instructor and Manager on board of Oyster informing
that a group of 11 divers + dive guide that started a dive at 7.45 has
failed to show at the expected time.

- The Oyster and the two ribs, had started the search in the area.

- 11.00 information has been relayed to : Karim Helal, Chairman of the
Red Sea Association For Diving And Water Sports, which in turn started
to inform all authorities involved as well as starting the necessary
procedures.

- 11.30 AM, A request from Khaled Samy to the search and recovery
service (Almaza Air Base) to start an air born search and recovery
operation in the brothers island area. A cash deposit was requested
before the take off could start.

- 12.30 Hrs, A fax from H.E. Dr. Saad Abou Reida - Red Sea Governor, to
the air base had accelerated the start of the search operation.

- 13.00 Hrs, Khaled Samy was in Almaza base assuring the payment for the
flight cost as well following up the search operation from the control
room. The time set for the flight was left open as needed and until last
light.

- 13.12 Hrs, a C130 plane took off Alamaza Base to the search area.

- H.E. Dr. Saad Abou Reida - Red Sea Governor, followed by the minute
with the air base and gave the instructions to continue the search
operations until last light and to start the following day if needed.

- H.E. Dr. Saad Abou Reida - Red Sea Governor, Gave instructions to all
boats in the area to stop their diving activity and to assist in the
search operation. The response from boats and diving centers was
instantaneous, having to mention here the Dune dive centre for their
sincere efforts.

- Captain Hossam Helmy, an expert in this specific area, had been of
great help in advising both the airborn and sea search processes .

- 17.25 Hrs, A message from the plane reporting a target of 8 to 9
people floating in near circle shape with orange buoys and flash lights
at N26 15/E34 49. the report also mentioned that a boat is at 4 miles
away from the target but moving away from it, the plane could not
establish a communication with the boat.

- 18.40 Hrs, The plane had to refuel before coming back to the target
location at 18:55 to find that the target has disappeared.

- 19.40 Hrs, End of air born search, with plan to restart the air search
operation the following morning at the first light, as per instructions
of H.E. Dr. Saad Abou Reida - Red Sea Governor, while assuring the funds
needed by the the Oyster owning company.

- 20.15 Hrs, A call from the dive boat "thunderbird" confirmed the pick
up of the 12 divers in good conditions at the location.

- 21.20 Hrs, The Oyster joined the Thunderbird to pick up the divers.

- Assessment of diver conditions showed that they are in good shape and
were given the choice of aborting the trip and returning to dock, but
they all decided to go on with their trip.

- A full investigation will take place as soon as Oyster is back to
port, and will be published on this site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom