Divers go to a depth of 80 feet in raw sewage to unclog water system...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hazardous “duty” takes on a whole new meaning!

The other thing that is notable is what else was found to be blocking the intake: a baseball and a sizable piece of metal. Many older collection systems are combination stormwater and wastewater systems, so that under heavy rain events, whatever has washed off the streets blends with what is coming from the "sanitary sewer" and all of it lands on the screens.

Sensationalism doesn't go very far with trained professionals, unless they are trying to curry favor to support funding for necessary upgrades.

Those divers, in that case, become poster children to advance a cause that elected officials are ignoring.

Hello, Detroit, are you paying attention?

Even with the two situations are polar opposite, one being treated drinking water and the other being wastewater treatment, the root causes are identical.

Regrettably, these are too common an occurrence. I oversee a municipal wastewater facility. The issues we have with these wipes are insane.

To see more, google search "fatberg" (yes, there is now actually a term for it)....

Did this in Miami in 2000. Viking Drysuit, superlite 27 helmet with integrated neck damn.

In 15 minutes I made $2300.

My $8/hour tender made very little as he spent 20 minutes pressure washing me off while fighting the smell.

Paging Gary D.

I used to love his stories.

OMG YUUUuuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My $8/hour tender made very little as he spent 20 minutes pressure washing me off while fighting the smell.

You just have to use your imagination a bit. When we need decontamination, we call the fire department, and often, they'll bid cash to spray us.

Back
Top Bottom