Divers Day Out at Balmorhea Feb 18-20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw:
I just got word that the hotel rooms at the State Park are sold out now. There are probably still rooms in town. Valley Motel, (432) 375-2263 or Country Inn (432) 375-2477 Call for reservations and room rates.

I just got a note from Rick R. that said he can't go, Doctors Orders. He has a room with 3 beds that he is about ready to release unless someone wants it. The room has 3 beds.

Randy

sdp:
I just got a note from Rick R. that said he can't go, Doctors Orders. He has a room with 3 beds that he is about ready to release unless someone wants it. The room has 3 beds.

Randy

Hey Randy whats up with Rick,,,hope nothing serious?? Alan

I am trying to get an idea who is actually going to make the trek out to Balmorhea.

Please reply to the post or send me a PM if you are comming (or even thinking about it)

I am planning arriving late on Friday night (with my whole tribe in tow). I am staying in the San Soloman Courts. The pool opens at 8am. For those that are going I plan to be at the pool around 9am. and can give a dive briefing for those that want to hear it. Look for the Big Blue Van pulling a white trailer.

Randy

sdp:
I am trying to get an idea who is actually going to make the trek out to Balmorhea.

Please reply to the post or send me a PM if you are comming (or even thinking about it)

I am planning arriving late on Friday night (with my whole tribe in tow). I am staying in the San Soloman Courts. The pool opens at 8am. For those that are going I plan to be at the pool around 9am. and can give a dive briefing for those that want to hear it. Look for the Big Blue Van pulling a white trailer.

Randy

I plan on being out there Friday about 4pm.. If cloudy will probably do a night dive.....if clear may head to the observitory,,,,probably will not be staying over Sat. night. Staying at the same place you are Randy. Alan

Fri Feb 18
Mostly Cloudy
72°/46°

Sat Feb 19
Partly Cloudy
74°/43°

Sun
Feb 20
Partly Cloudy
66°/40°

I'll be out there. I am aiming for Friday night but definate Sat by 9am. Not sure at this time who will be with me.

Froglady:
I'll be out there. I am aiming for Friday night but definate Sat by 9am. Not sure at this time who will be with me.

Kool!!

Hello Balmorhea divers,

I noticed that you guys were at the state park on February 20 2005. We were there on that Sunday, resting and diving on the way back to Albuquerque. Unfortunately, I'm packing for my next dive trip and I'm pretty sure that I left my dive computer there in the park when we visited.

Did you hear of anyone finding a Cressi Archimedes wrist mount dive computer? I'm going to check with the park staff tomorrow when they open to see if anyone turned it in. It's a long shot I know but still worth a try.

Thanks,

Pete

Debraw:
Balmorhea State Park

February 18, 19 and 20th

We are planning on leaving around 4:30 pm on Friday 2 /18 from the shop and arriving around midnight, Dive on Saturday, Dinner at Dutch Overs on Saturday Night/Sunday Morning. Dive Sunday, Depart around 2pm back to DFW

There is not much dining in Balmorhea, We suggest packing food for breakfasts and lunch. We plan to eat dinner Saturday night at Dutch Overs Restaurant.

Balmorhea is 450 miles from the Dive Shop (approx 7-8hr drive)

For a complete description, history, fees, area attractions and to make reservations see http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/balmorhe/

This is a really fun dive. It is the closest thing I have ever experienced to diving in an aquarium. Visibility will range from 50-100ft and the water temperature will be 72 degrees F. Even though this sounds like warm water, I would recommend a 5mm wetsuit. (hood/gloves optional). Balmorhea is the home of the Comanche Springs Pupfish, which is an endangered species. This is the only place where this fish is still known to exists. There are also Mexican tetras, catfish, turtles and crayfish living in the springs.

Accommodations: There are a limited number of hotel rooms on site at the park. The San Solomon Springs Court ranges in from $50-$63/night. Some rooms have a kitchenette. Book your rooms early, as they will go fast. There is also camping at the park. Campsites range from $9-$14 depending upon water/electric/TV hookups. Camping reservations can be made on-line from the TP&W website, San Solomon Springs Court reservations can be made by calling TP&W at 512-389-8900

There is also hotels in the town of Balmorhea, Valley Motel, (432) 375-2263 or Country Inn (432) 375-2477 Call for reservations and room rates. (As I remember they were about the same price as the San Solomon Courts)

If time permits we may try to take an excursion up to the McDonald observatory, This is 52 miles from Balmorhea and at an elevation of 6500ft. Star Gazing is very easily done in this part of the country. See http://mcdonaldobservatory.org/ for details.

Area Attractions: Nearby points of interest are Davis Mountains State Park, Indian Lodge, Fort Davis National Historic Site, McDonald Observatory, Replica of Judge Roy Bean's West of the Pecos Museum, Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute, Sul Ross State University; Museum of the Big Bend, the Mystery Marfa Lights, Anne Riggs Museum; Rooney Park; and Ste. Genevieve Vineyard/Winery. For information on the community of Fort Davis, visit the Fort Davis Chamber of Commerce.

Scuba Diving Rules and Regulations:

Scuba divers (certified and/or students with instructors) may dive from 8:00 am until 10 p.m. daily. Swimmers may use the pool from 8 am until one-half hour before sunset daily.
Night diving is allowed for all divers holding an open water certification or temporary certification when accompanied by a certified instructor. Everyone must be out of the pool area by 10 p.m. Central Time at which time the entry gate will be locked.
All individual scuba diving will be done on the buddy system. A minimum of two (2) certified divers is required to dive.
All individual divers utilizing San Solomon Springs at Balmorhea State Park must present certification cards ("C" Cards) or up-to-date log books prior to signing the Liability Waiver.
All divers must sign a Liability Waiver prior to entering the water. All sign-ins must be done during regular office hours (hours vary with season - call 432/375-2370 for current office hours).
Only certified instructors will be allowed to conduct dive classes. Proof of certification and insurance must be provided.
A copy of the instructor's liability insurance must be on file in the park office prior to conducting a dive class.
A ratio of one(1) certified instructor to eight (8) students is the maximum allowed in the water.
No diver will molest, catch or handle any fish, turtle or other aquatic life. Natural areas of the spring, including rocks, are not to be disturbed or moved.
No spear guns, knives or fishing gear are permitted in the pool or pool area.
All divers will have properly inspected and maintained equipment.
Air compressors must conform to recommended EPA/OSHA noise levels. No compressors are to be used between the hours of 10 p.m. and 7 am. No compressors may be used in the parking area at San Solomon Springs Court or in the camping area at any time.
No surface air pumps of any kind will be allowed in the pool at any time.
All Texas Parks & Wildlife Rules and Regulations are to be strictly adhered to and will be strictly enforced. (Copies are available in the park office.) Instructors and group leaders are expected to familiarize their people with these Rules and Regulations.
Note: Air tank refills are available locally.

Sorry Padudle , no one from SI Scuba has it or talked about it. You might also want to check with Tucker's Dive Shop in Grand Prairie to see if someone there might have picked it up. They were also at the park that day. http://www.tuckersdiveshop.com

Back
Top Bottom