Diver's body with more than 50kg of cocaine found on Newcastle port riverbank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Police believe there were two divers involved in trying to collect cocaine from a bulk carrier in the Port of Newcastle.

Key points:​

• It is not known where the second diver has gone after the operation
  • The scuba diver who died at the scene has been identified and police believe he may have traveled from South America
  • Police believe they have only recovered part of the cocaine shipment

Police believe there were two divers involved in trying to collect cocaine from a bulk carrier in the Port of Newcastle.

Key points:​

• It is not known where the second diver has gone after the operation
  • The scuba diver who died at the scene has been identified and police believe he may have traveled from South America
  • Police believe they have only recovered part of the cocaine shipment
So only a 50% fatality rate. Still, aspiring diver-smugglers may wish to reconsider their career path.

I could not think of a more disgusting place to dive in Australia.

I could not think of a more disgusting place to dive in Australia.

Especially with all that cocaine and dead body in the water.

They would be the least of the issues. I would be more concerned with the hexavalent chromium

You know I have to look that up, right?

Nope. Didn't help.

It’s a major export harbour with from memory one of the largest coal hubs in the southern hemisphere’s. The company Orica was fined for a chemical spill in the area around 2010. That was the “reported” chemical.
It was also a massive steel works for a long time, one can only imagine what has been spilt in that harbour.

cocaine smuggling- is that a new speciality?

Back
Top Bottom