Divers almost swallowed by whales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becky and I saw a bait ball close up in Akumal. A couple of nice sized barracuda were hanging around. We decided to back off a bit.

I agree with the comment that I would probably have to clean my suit after a close encounter like that one.

Don's link was the better of the two.

For those who don't know, Warhammer's claim to fame!

Last edited:
Yikes! I always wondered what it'd be like to dive with whales. Now I know and know I'm glad I'm sitting at my computer watching that versus being in the middle of the action being a sitting duck!

Hmm...anybody else see a new distinctive specialty in the works? World's first biological overhead environment!

:D

Amazing ... I´d probably s** my suit, but still it looks like something I´d be glad to see it happen from those guys perspective. Cool vid.

My guess is those whales knew just what they were dong. I read about researchers observing humpbacks in Alaska feeding the same way they were in the vid. Well, there were many crab pots in the feeding area, not once did one whale even touch one of those crab pot lines! That would go down as the best thing that has happened to me to date if I had been one of those divers, lucky divers! Note the whales didn't even touch the tag line.

My guess is those whales knew just what they were doing.

I agree- whales are pretty smart. I would think they purposefully avoid other mammals because their digestion can't handle them. I think it would wreck a lot of havoc on a humpback whale to swallow a human, or a sea lion (who often hang out around humpback whales when feeding), or what not.

Still extremely scary, but I think it was unlikely the people were in danger of being eaten. (I'd worry more about a whale jumping and breaching on me if I was that close!)

Still extremely scary, but I think it was unlikely the people were in danger of being eaten. (I'd worry more about a whale jumping and breaching on me if I was that close!)

935062_10151830220789009_1124663369_n.jpg

Since they are not wearing tanks technically they are snorkelers are they not?

Back
Top Bottom