Divers almost swallowed by whales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, that would really freak me out. Cool vid though.

That was crazy. You have to wonder if the whales knew the divers were there or if it was just dumb luck that they didn't get swallowed.

Belly of a whale: Diver nearly 'krilled' off California coast | The Latest | 89.3 KPCC
Humpback whales have been hugely overlooked for their comedic timing.
In a world where clownfish and crustaceans get all the funny parts, whales are taking back what's theirs, beginning with an I'm-going-to-eat-you gag aimed at some divers off the California coast.
According to a YouTube video posted over the weekend, the divers, out with a Morro Bay-based SCUBA charter, quickly found themselves in the speedy path of two lunge-feeding, multi-ton mammals.
Of course the perfectly synchronized giants were never really going to swallow or eat the divers — that's not physically possible for baleen whales. Regardless, the near miss could have had serious consequences (Kelly Rowland, looking in your direction).
Gawker reports that one of the divers believed they were a quarter mile away from the whales when they entered the water.
A NOAA marine mammal biologist told Grind TV/Yahoo Sports that it was unclear from the video if divers were in violation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) — a law that protects all marine mammals from harassment and other dangers.
VIDEO WARNING: As one might expect from a man who is nearly slurped up by a whale, this video contains profanity.

Great video. Almost looked like the whales were using the divers to help coral the bait. The fish broke primarily just to the right of the divers and the whales came up to the right of the divers.

OMG! I had to watch it three times before I could believe it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom