DiveRite Transplate Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikecotrone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am currently researching BP/W and I have heard a lot of recommendations for the DiveRite Transplate. I am looking for a SS backplate since I already have a BC w/ a nylon backplate (Zeagle Ranger). I like the weighting characteristics of the SS vs. Aluminum to start.

I see that DiveRite has the Transplate and the "Deluxe Harness". It looks to me that the Transplate is a "package" BP/W that comes with more D Rings and shoulder padding. Is basically the Transplate a Deluxe harness + the additional items or are there other differences?

Thank you!
Mike

Hi Mike,
I have a transplate w/ SS plate. The plates are the same regardless of the harness. The transplate harness is not one continuous piece of webbing like the standard hogarthian harness. The transplate has QR's on the shoulder straps and a chest strap w/ QR. It also comes with shoulder pads but their use is optional. I think it has the same # of D-rings included that the standard harness has, but of course I added more along the waist near the back (They come in handy for extra places for reels, SMBs, canlight, hunting gear, etc). Includes a crotch strap, I think you can choose the size 1" w/QR (what I got) or 2" (the preferred size for men) through which you run the waist strap through.

For cold water, SS is the way to go...less lead needed. But if you are diving 130s, you many not need that extra weight.

Let us know how it works out for you.

I think the main difference between the transplate and the deluxe harness (other than padding, etc) is that the transplate has the stainless steel glides that thread through the waistband just like the transpac and the deluxe harness doesn't.

If the deluxe harness also has the glides that attach to the waist I would get that instead and save $$.

I am currently researching BP/W and I have heard a lot of recommendations for the DiveRite Transplate. I am looking for a SS backplate since I already have a BC w/ a nylon backplate (Zeagle Ranger). I like the weighting characteristics of the SS vs. Aluminum to start.

I see that DiveRite has the Transplate and the "Deluxe Harness". It looks to me that the Transplate is a "package" BP/W that comes with more D Rings and shoulder padding. Is basically the Transplate a Deluxe harness + the additional items or are there other differences?

Thank you!
Mike

Been there, done that. Would recommend the standard hog harness over the deluxe. The padding doesn't really do anything other than require weight to sink it, chest strap is just another thing to fasten. Deluxe harness is a pain to assemble. Dive Rite has really good stuff but I would go with the one piece hog harness. When adjusted correctly, which might take a few pool or lake dives, it will be both comfortable and easy to put on.

Agree with some comments here....and not with some others.

First of all, what is your diving style....and what do you plan to do in the future??? If you are like me a pure rec diver then the delux harness is the way to go in my opinion. It is very comfortable and quite versitile. If you plan to go techie and hang a hundred bottles off yourself, then get the plate and go hog on the harness.

It really depends on what you plan to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom