Unknown Diver rescued at popular swimming spot - New South Wales

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999

Scuba diver rushed to hospital after being rescued from water at Shelly Beach on Sydney's Northern Beaches

A scuba diver has been taken to hospital after being rescued from the water at a popular swimming spot in Sydney on Wednesday.

A woman, believed to be in her thirties, ran into difficulties while scuba diving at Shelly Beach in the northern suburb of Manly at about 10:30am.

Emergency services rushed to the beach after receiving reports a diver needed help.

Paramedics assessed the woman before taking her to Northern Beaches Hospital.

A video published by The Daily Telegraph shows ambulance crews carrying the scuba diver off the beach in a stretcher.

The beach is roughly 100 meters long is popular with tourists and locals alike.

Divers often enter the water to dive the rocks around the nearby Fairy Bower where marine life can be seen in fairly shallow water.

Backed by a grassy reserve, the cove is relatively sheltered from wind due to its west-facing position.

A 32-year-old woman on her honeymoon drowned at the beach in January after getting into trouble in the water.

Paramedics frantically tried to revive the woman but she died at the scene.

This is possibly the easiest possible dive site in Australia. Straight off the beach into shallow water and never getting deeper than 10 metres. Protected from swell for 90% of the time as well. Very little information in Australian press and nothing at all on the main Sydney scuba diving Facebook page.

This is possibly the easiest possible dive site in Australia. Straight off the beach into shallow water and never getting deeper than 10 metres. Protected from swell for 90% of the time as well. Very little information in Australian press and nothing at all on the main Sydney scuba diving Facebook page.
I'm diving with the DCM guys on Tue
I'll see if they know anything.

From the Northern Beaches Advocate

I'm relieved to hear that this woman survived. I guess it was the honeymooner in January that could not be revived.

Sounds like the diver panicked, probably also way overweighted as is the norm for teaching divers in Sydney from my observations. Glad she survived.

Sounds like the diver panicked, probably also way overweighted as is the norm for teaching divers in Sydney from my observations. Glad she survived.
I don't know if you remember but, some years ago, a young female tourist from S.E. Asia lost her life at the adjacent spot, Fairy Bower. It is impossible to reach more than 6 metres depth there. She became separated from her buddy and, although she would only have been at maybe 5 metres depth and could at any time have ascended and had an easy swim to shore, she simply kept swimming around until she ran out of air and drowned. I was living in Manly at the time and that story still bothers me, many years later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom