Diver rescue at Niihau after 4 hour separation from boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

REFLECTIONPOOL

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had additional information regarding the incident last week with the missing diver that was finally found/rescued at Niihau off of Kauai last week? I read the article in the Garden Island news after hearing about it from some friends who work on a snorkel boat that helped with the search. I can't imagine how scary it would be to be alone at sea for over 2-3 hours. Seems that this occurs every couple years out at Niihau. Several years ago a couple divers had the same thing happen at the same site. My wife and I had dove there two days after that incident in pretty strong currents and one of the crew members mentioned one of the boats had to do an hour long search. I know that when advanced trips take place these things unfortunately occur but just wondered if any other details came about? What a blessing that the diver was found and at least at the time of the article he was ok.

RP

-the article was again in "The Garden Island" on Sunday, May 26th.

Another reason why having a Nautilus Lifeline on you can bring peace of mind.

Sounds like a good candidate for the "close call" section. I dove Lehua Crater off of Niihau a couple of years ago. I have to say...I wasn't really impressed with the "advanced-ness" of the divers on the trip. One of them came up bragging because he was stoked that he finally hit 130ft for the first time ever. He did it alone and without a computer. As usual I was not really worried about getting the boat's attention if needed. I'm not quite ready to shell out for the Nautilus system but I have my whistle, large safety sausage, and lights so I can gain attention. The currents were very strong that day but then I've run into lots of strong currents in Hawaii -- so you should be just as prepared on Oahu as at Lana'i or Niihau, IMO.

Perhaps the diver in this case was as well-prepared as I think I am, but it's nonetheless a good occasion to emphasize that you should always have visual and audible signaling devices on you. I'm surprised at how often I see other divers here, even on "advanced" boat trips, diving without signaling devices. A plastic whistle only costs a few dollars. A highly visible 6-foot safety sausage only costs $20-$30. It's a big ocean. You have to have something that increases your odds of being seen. It's a struggle for the boat crew to spot a diver wearing a dark-colored wetsuit and dark-colored BCD, with only his hands and arms out of the water, especially when swells and currents are present.

When I was there with Fathom Five (NOT the dive op involved in this evidence) they provided SMBs for all divers who didn't have them already.

If there is anyone out there that has dove Niihau AND Cozumel....how do the currents of the two compare?

I only dived Ni'ihau once, and in perfect conditions. The currents do not compare. There was pretty much nothing at Ni'ihau when I was there.

To me the big difference is that Ni'ihau is hard to get to, and it is a restricted diving location. Consequently, few boats go there. When we went there, I am pretty sure we were the only boat in the remote vicinity. Consequently, if you get lost, there aren't many options for getting found. In Cozumel, if you pop up with a SMB, you are likely to be spotted by any of a number of boats in the vicinity.

When I was there with Fathom Five (NOT the dive op involved in this evidence) they provided SMBs for all divers who didn't have them already.

Doesn't every ocean diver own one?:confused:

Doesn't every ocean diver own one?

The certification agencies should make this a part of the required gear for the course, IMO. No, not everyone owns one. In my experience only a minority of divers carry them. When I do club events or go out on a dive boat I'm usually surrounded by newer and/or inexperienced/infrequent divers and they generally don't seem to carry SMBs/sausages. I will not forget the moment I had my own epiphany. I went to Cozumel when I was still fairly inexperienced and the DM and I popped up away from the group for some reason. That's when I became aware of the chaos at the surface with seemingly dozens of boats and scores of divers all over the place. I felt completely foolish for not having a safety sausage. After that I made extra sure I stuck to that DM like white on rice, because I was not going to risk not being seen by my boat! And of course I bought a safety sausage soon after, and I've carried one religiously ever since.

I only dived Ni'ihau once, and in perfect conditions. The currents do not compare. There was pretty much nothing at Ni'ihau when I was there.

Well, although I recall some strong currents the one day I was Ni'ihau/Lehua, I would agree they did not compare to Cozumel. They were strong enough that you wouldn't want to exhaust yourself swimming against them, though, hence the importance of signaling devices.

The certification agencies should make this a part of the required gear for the course, IMO.
It was required for my AOW. Not sure if it's an agency requirement or my LDS/Instructor requirement.

Back
Top Bottom