Diver reported missing in 40 Fathom Grotto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was their today with adv students, but, knew something was wrong when Hal recommendend me to go to blue grotto with students , I didnt stay long enough to ask questions since a loth of sherrif cars and dive teams were gearing up. I hope we can learn what happened and what mistakes can be recognized and learned from this tragedy, the news clip just doesnt make sense.

This is sad. At this point, it seems that diver error and bad judgement hit again. You don't go against the plan and you don't leave your buddy(ies). Even if you still have 5 minutes...

When I last dived 40 Fathom Grotto, in May 2006, the operators required staff guides on all dives. I believe ownership has changed since then but has the guide policy changed? 40 Fathom Grotto is a deep site and visibility is not as good as other Florida Springs. If you are limited by skills to less than 110 feet, as these divers were, the guides would have made a big difference. The Grotto is an easy place to get into trouble.

Its a terrible thing & the part of the story that really made me wince was that they went out for dinner & cocktails before deciding to do a night dive.
Once alcohol is consumed diving should be done for the day, or night as this case seems to be.

It's possible he might be caught under one of the platforms as he ascended. Mighty lonely place to be at night, solo. Easily disorientating.

My recollection of the place is one of easy diving. But that was following Marty to 130ft and doing a full tour.

Why didn't his buddy stay with him for those last 6 minutes?

Guess we'll never know.

Condolences to his family.

Seadeuce

Back
Top Bottom