Diver reported missing in 40 Fathom Grotto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to the Grotto several times but limited my depth to about 120'. I have never heard anyone talk about a cave system since there is little flow of water there. If there is a cave system, I have no knowledge of it and this information is a surprise to me. There are many nooks and crannies and it has a serious overhang (guessing you'd have to ascend at 45 degrees) the minute you pop your head underwater. Sort of cone shaped. Shallowest spot is 80' and deepest is 240'. Vis can't be more than 3' if that. Lots of vertical lines with things hanging for sightseeing like a Suzuki motorcycle and other down lines for the Technical and Mixed Gas training. Surface covered in duck weed except for an area around the dock entry so most visible light is lost quickly. This site is NOT for everyone and is closed to the public. You have to dive with their guide there to dive it the first time. The only thing I find odd about this tragedy that is out of the ordinary is the time of night this dive occurred. I have read everything from 1:30am to 3:30am with no real facts. Not sure if this would even be a factor unless more details come out. Either way, it's very tragic.

If anyone wants all the details you can go to the 40 Fathom website. They have some maps that might be of interest to help folks understand the profile of the site.

40 Fathom Grotto

Nothing new other than the recovery. The lesson for us all on this little item is that innacuracies - and there are always inaccuracies in the newspaper - can take on a life of their own if repeated, and it was important to stop this one in its tracks before it became "widely accepted" as a "fact."
Reporters are so accustomed to spicing up their stories with juicy little tidbits I think they do it without even thinking about how they can ignite all sorts of unfounded and unnecessary - and sometimes very harmful - wild speculation.
:)
Rick

I've said it before and I will say it again. Reporters refuse to be confused by the facts of a story...

Reporters are so accustomed to spicing up their stories with juicy little tidbits I think they do it without even thinking about how they can ignite all sorts of unfounded and unnecessary - and sometimes very harmful - wild speculation.
:)
Rick

Hey now!! Not all of us do that....some of us use our powers for good :wink:

That is a complete generalization and it is unfair.

Sorry friend, but the generalization is true. You may be the exception and we will grant you that as you have come here in search of information. But if you look around read the work of your competition, you will note such a statement is true.

I am glad that you are here and to know that there is at least one of you trying to get the facts straight.

:hijack:
That is a complete generalization and it is unfair.
No, it is an accurate report of my experience. In my entire life, I have never seen an accurate accident report in a newspaper. Never. Not one. And as a mishap investigator in the Navy, I saw plenty.
Rick
-- END of :hijack:

I have never do this location so I turn this over to those who have first hand knowledge of the site. Is there actual caves in the area where the body was found or are they likely referencing an overhang of some sort?
Here's a map (and here's another) that indicates there are at least three "caves" - I have no firsthand knowledge of the place.
Rick

Well I'll be dammed Rick. I never knew they were there and never heard a soul speak of them in the five years I've been going there. Thanks for the info. Very useful information and seems to add to the dangers of this site for those untrained.

That is a complete generalization.
Yes
and it is unfair.
No. My experience has certainly been similar to Rick's. Across three disciplines - medicine, aviation and diving - I have consistently observed a pattern of inaccuracy in reporting, particularly where accidents and incidents are concerned, made worse by a penchant for sensationalism. Don Henley's lyrics in Dirty Laundry ring true for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom