Diver out of air? Not really? Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At any point beyond OW training if you have to have another person adjust your BC for you, or place additional weight on you......you probably shouldn't be diving.

If you can't take care of these things yourself without being spoon fed by a DM, find another activity.

On the other hand, guys like that probably contribute to keeping those DM's working.:idk:

Sadly, some agency/instructor "produced" that diver. That is the final product depicted in the video.

-Mitch

I much prefer that when a diver is sharing air like that, that they stay over my right shoulder, keep one hand on my tank valve and "ride me". When they are that close, you can hear their breathing rate and there is little opportunity for separation. That guy looked like he would have had his hands full if the hose got yanked from his mouth.

I haven't been to cozumel in like 15 yrs, but that video of the spastic divers (the DM didn't look so hot either) makes me think I can wait another 15 yrs.

Boulderjohn, I didn't see it any of the times I went to Coz with the ops I used. I did see divers go completely OOG twice though in Belize and Roatan. I know because both times, the OOG diver was making a beeline for me with really wide eyes. The first time in Belize, I didn't know why a stranger was freaking out and rushing me from the side until he grabbed my octo. The second time in Roatan, I happened to look back and a person in our group was making a mad dash for the DM and I was in between, and he was repeatedly slashing his throat with his eyes bugged out. Both times I obliged and the air share was intercepted by the DM and continued on for the second half or at least last quarter of the dives. They were each given larger tanks later in the week since they were both "air hogs".

Boulderjohn, I didn't see it any of the times I went to Coz with the ops I used.

It is routine for Aldora Divers.

You guys are terrible. I don't see the big deal. The OOG diver probably has years of experience and tens of dives while vacationing. He received the reg from the DM like a pro. He is obviousy well practiced.

It is routine for Aldora Divers.

Hi John, I'm not doubting it, I just didn't see it the couple of times I was in Coz, so I can't comment on that. I definitely did see 2 OOG divers in other places sharing with the DM for extended periods with no effort to turn the dive, plus others that I can't be sure about, so it definitely does happen with OOG divers, not just LOG.

BTW, I know that in Roatan, the DM had told everyone to let him know when they reached 1500 psi. But NO ONE did except me. Right after I showed him 1500 psi is when the other guy was out of gas and many were low. Each day this guy who used to dive with a horsecollar and j-valve ran out of air without knowing it and completed his dives sharing air with the DM until they got him a bigger tank at the end. No sitting out dives, no penalty, no advice, no talking to that I was aware of. People need to be monitoring their gauges and managing their gas supply, at the very least, and following the DM's instructions to tell him when to turn the dive.

I agree Ayisha! Each individual diver is responsible for monitoring and managing their air. I've done DM duties and will not hesitate to end the dive for the group when OOG/LOG happens to one person. Group dynamics typically kick in and the person that terminated the dive for all is embarrassed and has lots of suggestions for air management on the subsequent dives. Air hogs should know their own limits and start with a larger tank and not create a situation that can easily be avoided.

Are you sure he signaled OOA?

Some Cozumel operators will share air with divers who are going through their air faster than the others in the group. In such a situation, the first diver in the group to hit a target PSI--nowhere near OOA--will share air with the DM for a while. When the second diver hits that target PSI, the first diver gives back the donated regulator and goes back to his or her own regulator as they begin the ascent process. At no time in this process is anyone close to OOA.

This is more routine then apparently many want to admit here. I've seen it in Cozumel, Roatan and Nevis. The DMs all have the 'cave diver' set up on their 2nd reg for this purpose.

While the diver in the video doesn't seem very accomplished, I can't tell by it if he is out of air or not, I'm not sure how others can. All I see is a DM give him his 2nd reg. That doesn't mean he is out of air or having a problem with his rig.

The DM appeared to give him a weight where it says it's a BCD adjustment. Another not a big deal in the big picture.

The 2nd diver looked like he is into cave diving based on his kicking technique.

Not sure why this is posted as a near miss or a lesson learned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom