Diver, non diver couple balance vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised no one mentioned Curacao. I've never been there, not yet, but from reading trip reports and comments here on Scubaboard I'm getting a feeling that it might be a place with lots of action above water...

I'm in the same situation with a non-immersible wife. Here's a brief list of our compromises:

Couples Negrill-- All-inclusive includes diving. Great resort. We felt very pampered. I did 2 tanks a day most of the week. The diving is not spectacular but I had fun. The wife kept busy at the resort and the occasional shopping excursion. Good food, good drinks, great staff and excellent dive staff.

Sandals Halcyon--St Lucia--AI including diving. Again a great resort with enough going on to kept the bride happy. Diving was better than Jamaica but not as convenient as we had to bus to a marina and share a boat with other resorts.

Turtles Nest Inn, Grand Cayman. Small apartment centrally located. Rented a car to explore the island. Dove with Ocean Frontiers on the east side. Wonderful secluded villaish experience. Great diving. Only dove 4 days as we wanted to explore the island. Found a few private beaches to waste the days away. Tried many restaurants.

Overall I think we both agree the Cayman trip has been the best over all experience for both of us. Couples was 2nd followed by Sandals.

Generally the resort dives tended to be more "cattle boat". Short bottom times. (although by the end of the week in Jamaica the DM's let some of the experienced divers dive their computers.) The trade off for the lesser dive experience, being pampered topside at the resort.

The apartment/villa experience was the best of both worlds. We did breakfast and lunch at the apartment and usually went out for diner. Choosing a real dive op gives you freedom to dive the way you want. I usually hung with the DM at the beginning of the dive but you don't get scolded for wandering off if you want to. Finding buddies has never been a problem. There are usually other solos or hang with the DM. So I got a great diving experience and we had a blast exploring the island.

Check out our live aboard trips in Nassau-Exuma we are happy to have none divers along, we have fishing, snorkeling and sunbathing available as well as port calls. Check out the following info on the Valentines day trip, a bit earlier than spring but still cool.

Feb 11 2011 - Feb 15 2011 Valentines Day Special.

Join us for our Couples only Valentines day Nassau - Exuma 5 day adventure. Leaving Nassau at 8:00 am on Feb 11 2011 we set sail for the turquoise waters and sandy beaches of Exuma. Dive and snorkel or just lie in the sun on the padded bow with that special someone, you are sure to have a special valentines weekend. Enjoy a romantic candle light valentines day dinner for two on the beach with a complimentary bottle of champagne or sparkling cider.

In between the romance we will take you to rarely explored off the beaten path dive sites for a once in a life time experience.

Included

• Accommodations
  • All beverages (Soda, Rum drinks, Beer and Wine)
  • Tanks, air and weights
  • Airport transfers
  • All meals and snacks
Not Included

• Dive and Snorkel Gear
  • Crew Gratuity
  • Dinner on the night of return
  • Airfare to Nassau
  • Nitrox
  • Trimix - available by the CuFt with prior arrangement.

$1895 On line Only before 12/31/10 $1695

For more information or to Book Click Here

I've got the same situation, my wife doesn't dive. We spent a week in Bonaire this past September and it was great, she's willing to go back again.

Turks and Caicos, Bahamas, Aruba, Belize Ambergris Caye all have beatuiful beaches and good diving. T & C has the best beautiful beaches and great diving and you'll be back to spend the afternoon/evening together

if you have any questions i would be glad to help, i work with diviers and non divers all the time and plan their vacations. Feel free to PM me, email, call

Kind of depends what your non-diving interests are (as a couple). Playa del Carmen area is nice. A rental car for the week and you're set! Golf of course if you're into that. Lots of history to explore @ Tulum, Chichen Itza, Coba, etc. Shopping in Playa and Cancun. Outdoor adventure @ Sian Ka'an, Xel Ha, Chankanab and a variety of EcoTours. Great snorkeling right off the beach @ Akumal ( makes a nice day trip when combined with Tulum and a cenote tour and other activities @ Hidden Worlds) and not even bad off Coco Beach on the North end of town as well as some of the park areas mentioned above. Guided tours (both snorkel and open circuit) of a number of cenote's which are not to be missed. Good restaurants. An easy ferry trip to Coz for more great diving while the SO explores island shopping or sights. On the other hand, if you just want to hang around a big resort -that still has plenty of activities but of a totally different type than the get out and explore kind of thing that we enjoy- and still want some good diving, my brother and sister-in-law really liked the Beaches Turks and Caicos resort and the diving's very good.

Gary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom