Diver missing today? 03/28/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I work with the missing woman's mother. Here's what I have learned:

She only had about 10 dives since being certified. Don't know how she was certified at this point. She was diving with her husband, who had recently been certified. Again, don't know how he was certified, either. She signaled to her husband that she was headed to the surface. As instructed by the DM, he turned to signal the DM that they were going to the surface. When he turned back to her, she was gone. Unknown if she ever made it to the surface. Based on the fact that they haven't found her, it's not likely that she did.

Yes, but only because enough of them they have proven themselves incompetent (or burned out, overloaded or whatever) that they've created a number of close calls and potentially bad situations for me and my buddy.

If you go by the marketing, they're there to "keep you safe". If you go by reality, you had better be capable of covering your own butt.

flots.

I sort of think it doesn't have to be an 'either or' proposition. Should DMs then say, "heck its the diver and his buddy's responsibility to take care of themselves, so I am ignoring them." Really I think the responsible DM recognizes many divers need to be watched some, so they watch them. Divers realize that some DMs won't look out for them and they should be ready to take care of themselves.

Expecting a either to do their part, doesn't relive the other from their part. Redundancy and a shared responsibility?

To spare the friends and family this thought for the first few days when there was still hope for the search, I did not post this until now.

I know of a very similar situation. An extremely experienced diver signaled that he was having trouble and was gong to the surface. This was not a drift dive, and they were still just doing the descent descent, so there was no possibility of him being lost on the surface. He never made it. It was assumed that he had a heart attack on the way up and drifted away. This scenario is, I am sorry to say, quite possible.

No really, is this the place to keep discussing silly stuff? Use the A&I thread or, hey lets make a NEW thread to discuss this stuff (would be a great idea). Lets keep this on topic of this poor families dire situation......I would have lost my mind having all this stupid stuff discussed while my mother is possibly lost or dead.

Keep it classy Scuba Board....

Any new updates? Are they still searching?

They sent a big dive team down where she originally got lost at but there was no luck. The Coast Guard & Navy are going to search until 10 am tomorrow before they officially call off the search. My step dad filled out a missing persons report today at the police station. After 10 am tomorrow it's left up to chance that the local people might run across her or her body.

I know of a very similar situation. ........ This scenario is, I am sorry to say, quite possible.

Just another example to support the notion that divers going up should do so with a competent buddy. The cases of a fatality are rare, but what if the three recent cases of solo ascending divers in Cozumel would have had a different outcome with an EXPERIENCED diver along. Two newbie divers going up is not my idea of a preferred method.

My suggestion for the experienced divers here is that they be willing to end their dive to support new divers going up early...whether alone or as a buddy pair. That is what I plan on doing if the situation ever occurs.

Thanks for the update on the search, kschoonover. My prayers are with you and your family. I can't even imagine what everyone must be going through right now. Blessings....

islanddream

I think I can safely say we are all in agreement. Prayers and best wishes in this family's time of need.

Thank you very much, it is greatly appreciated

Suprane, I travel with CARRY-ON only....no checked luggage. I am curious if this is considered bad by TSA folks with carry-on luggage. No point in buying any if they will be confiscated. I suppose I will have to go to the local airport and ask.

I can't imagine why it could be a problem. It is not a liquid and it is in no way flammable or caustic. I can't for the life of me see why TSA would have cause to question it. And if they did I would think you could explain to them what it is and why you carry it.

However, having said that, I have seen TSA make some bone-headed calls that left me scratching my head! :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom