Diver missing on Cape Breton in Nanaimo 11/24/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave, Aaron, Scott, Ron...
BZ
Rick

Wow. I've been following this one closely- I'm local, and, I don't know- I feel kind of involved with it, somehow. Thanks for all the info, Dave and Ron- as divers and web surfers, we usually don't hear so much detail. I'm really glad the RCMP opened the wreck up for you guys- it must have been hard for you, Dave, knowing the victim, and all. I hope the discovery and recovery has brought some closure for you guys- and I hope I can buy you a beer when we finally meet- maybe we can have a toast.....

Daniel has been found. 2 teams comprising myself, Aaron Lackie, Ron Micjan and Scott Ensor did 2 dives on the Cape Breton. The first dive was over an hour at 130ft the second was less than 20 minutes before he was found. We just got out of the debrief with the RCMP and I am beat. I will post more about this when I have the energy but it's been a long day.
I just want to say thanks to Marilyn Hagedorn, manager of the Dive Outfitters who was support/safety diver and Ken and Carolyn Adrian of Divers Choice charters for making this possible. Candace, Daniels girlfriend gave us very valuable information that led to the find.
I also want to commend the RCMP for recognizing that this job is better handled by the guys with the cool toys :wink: and taking a step back to let us do the search. They were very supportive and helpful as well. We left them to do the recovery as it is best done with surface supply and comms. He's a long way in there.

Wow, I have tears running down my face. Kudos to you and everyone that assisted. And a thumbs up on those "toys" :wink1: I'm glad you had a change of heart on sharing the details - that report will benefit many.

RCMP were unable to perform recovery today due to weather. There were high winds out there and although they were out for about 4 hours they did not have success. I guess since surface supplied dive boats need to do a 2 point moorage they were sitting in the trough.

RCMP were unable to perform recovery today due to weather. There were high winds out there and although they were out for about 4 hours they did not have success. I guess since surface supplied dive boats need to do a 2 point moorage they were sitting in the trough.

Since they have a line to him, did they close the wreck again whilst they work on the recovery of Daniel?

Thank you for going in and finding Daniel. There can now be some closure and now for the rough road of grieving and moving on. I have never lost a friend from a diving accident and I hope to never again. Thank you again for the tough task of a recovery mission and for all the information you provided along the way Dave. I really appreciate it and I know that everyone that knew Daniel can rest a little easier.

Since they have a line to him, did they close the wreck again whilst they work on the recovery of Daniel?

Wreck was closed again after we found him and will be closed until he is recovered. Hopefully tomorrow if the weather behaves.

Dave, I just want to add my thanks and praise for you guys who went in and found Daniel. I honestly cannot even imagine my state of mind, were I to have to go in search of the body of someone I knew and dove with, but I'm sure it is one thing to search, and quite another to find him. Recovering the body will undoubtedly give some comfort to his family, but I'm sure it took a lot out of your team. My thoughts are with you.

Hats of to you dave

my appreciation for your report,and all your effort into finding your friend.
i'm sure it was the hardest thing you ever had to do, but your courage is second to none.

Back
Top Bottom