Diver missing on Cape Breton in Nanaimo 11/24/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a group of volunteers called NAARS (Northern Alberta Aquatic Rescue Society) that operates here but they are recreational limits only. There isn't anything formal setup for deep stuff because there isn't the need.

I guess they felt they had to use the RCMP to their extent of their capabilities before they call in the volunteers. However there is precedence for using civilian divers. When they found the remains of that guy off Gabriola, they used civilian divers to do the recovery because of the depth.

That's a nasty area.

Hey Brian,
Yes they use civilian divers to some deeper recoveries. I know two CCR divers who did a recovery on the Columbia in Campbell River. They found him on the 3rd dive I believe, in the deepest, darkest part of the ship. It's too bad emotions get caught up in the whole matter. If this was a cave there would be no rush to recover. No sense risking the living for the dead.It's just sad all the way around.

Glen

The Vancouver Island news A channel announced that Daniel Harrington was the diver still missing on the wreck of the Cape Breton where he was diving with his girlfriend. RCMP divers are expected to call off the search some time tomorrow.

That is a wrecthed situation. I'm just not ready for penetration dives. There seems to be too much that can go wrong. The loss of vis a couple bad calls and that's it.

His wife (girlfriend?) must be traumatized to have found her way out without him. I can tell there are lot of emotions taking place with his friends as well.

Terrible loss of what seems like a decent person.

Sorry for all who'll miss him.

Cheers!

The Vancouver Island news A channel announced that Daniel Harrington was the diver still missing on the wreck of the Cape Breton where he was diving with his girlfriend. RCMP divers are expected to call off the search some time tomorrow.

Daniel Harrington????

I can't believe this.

My thoughts are also with those who went back down to search immediately when Daniel did not surface. I can not begin to imagine how it must feel when your air/deco obligations force you to end your search. So very sad.

I second wedivebc's frustrations with the bearucracy of the recovery efforts. I'm certain the divers involved are doing everything within their allowed limits and would do more if permitted. There are local divers who have the training and the equipment to safely dive the extent of the Cape. They have teamwork skills and intricate knowledge of this wreck, having dove it many times. In situations such as these one would think that any aid from capable proffesionals would be welcome to expedite the search. *sigh* /rant off

Diver missing off Gabriola presumed dead

"But because of the depth of the wreck, sitting in more than 40 metres of water, the rescue divers were limited to a maximum of 15 minutes. Staying at that depth for much longer can cause severe injury to the lungs."

someone really needs to setup a civilian recovery dive team up there like they have in cave country...

someone really needs to setup a civilian recovery dive team up there like they have in cave country...

Wouldn't matter, they wouldn't be allowed in until all the official gov't types have run their course. There are already federal teams in the area and despite their limitations, they are the first to be called and always will be despite what additional capabilites that Joe Volunteer may be able to offer. It's only when the official agencies have quickly exhausted their options that the capable volunteers would be called.

Cave people have long recognized that typical PSD teams can't deal with recoveries involving exposures beyond recreational limits. This is not so in the area involved.

That is a wrecthed situation. I'm just not ready for penetration dives. There seems to be too much that can go wrong. The loss of vis a couple bad calls and that's it.

His wife (girlfriend?) must be traumatized to have found her way out without him. I can tell there are lot of emotions taking place with his friends as well.

Terrible loss of what seems like a decent person.

Sorry for all who'll miss him.

Cheers!

he sounds like he was an outstanding person.
i think someone like that probably realized the horrible situation,couldn't see his
partner and knowing she had only a single tank,stayed to the last fatal moment searching for her.

Treasure H

he sounds like he was an outstanding person.
i think someone like that probably realized the horrible situation,couldn't see his
partner and knowing she had only a single tank,stayed to the last fatal moment searching for her.

That sounds like a very plausible scenario! Terrible that he might have found himself in this situation, and even more so that he could have lived had he known she was safe.

This scares me a lot. I would want to find my girl also, and I believe she would want to find me if the roles were reversed. I’m not good enough to do penetration dives, especially if they can go awry so easily for people with this degree of experience.

What was/were the fatal flaw(s)? I know it is too early to know all the details. I’m just wondering out loud.

That poor woman! She must be going through hell!

Cheers!

What was/were the fatal flaw(s)? I know it is too early to know all the details. I’m just wondering out loud.
No line.

Back
Top Bottom