Diver missing near Mandurah Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me the mystery is how the deceased diver could have evaded the careful search of an area close to the original dive location of a team of divers over a period of even one to two days.

Unless he was concealed and stuck deep under a ledge or in a cave. Possibly after suffering a medical emergency. If 3 divers were all within a 10m radius (which I doubt) then the vis must have been pretty bad for noone to see anything especially something like a fatal shark attack in open water. To me any other explanation seems unlikely, how else could you explain such an extensive search failing to locate a body which then miraculously happens to appear in that exact spot with bite marks several days later.

In the past Fisheries WA scientists have been able to confirm this within a few days of a fatal attack and identify the type of shark responsible for the attack without the need for an inquest

Maybe because this isn't a fatal shark attack? Except in your mind perhaps.

From the last article you posted: "Police said his death would be examined by the WA Coroner but initial investigations indicated that he might have shark bites. The friends did not observe any attack and the cause of death is unclear at this stage".

I was thinking along the same lines FBK - his sister was diving with him, im sure she wouldnt have just gone..oh..oh well...

Its established they were diving for crays, he may well have been under a ledge/overhang and had some form of medical emergency and not been able to extradite himself.

Personally id just like to add that Fauxfish turning this into a thread to grind his own deluded axe is a reflection of his character. Talk about lacking the fundamentals of respect for another humans life - turning a thread about a guy who was having fun loving life with his sister and mates into an opportunity to bleat off like a sheep about how he is keeping we divers in WA safe is morally bankrupt. I hope his sister and buddies know that we other western australian divers are sorry for their loss not foaming at the mouth using their loved ones death for their own warped selfish attention seeking behaviour.

Early media reports indicated search and rescue divers were on the scene soon after the alarm was sounded about the missing diver.

The alarm was raised at 1.30 pm.

The media report release was 3.31 pm.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/22245886/diver-missing-off-dawesville/

The deceased diver was on a boat which remained in the area for the remainder of the afternoon.

REALLY.. you expect too much from the media:shocked: I've seen and heard what they were told and then seen and heard what they said after:fear:

I'd expect that if a pleasure craft could remain anchored in the area for that afternoon the search and rescue divers would have several hours of searching the area where the boat was initially moored.

Anchored in the area .. doesn't say in the same location as the dive. Could be off shore or in shelter. Seems like they did stay in the spot for a while tho.

Media reports stated that the search and rescue divers were deployed on the following day.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/22256264/search-for-diver-continues-into-night/

I expect the media would have reported if the efforts of the search and rescue dive team were seriously affected by the weather conditions prior to the time of the release of these reports. That did not occur.

The original dive location described in media reports where the diver went missing was about 5 km northwest of the Dawesville Cut in 10 m of water. Divers said they stayed within ten metres of the boat.
Really not a good idea to count on media to do anything but sensationalize, provide selective information and misunderstood information:shakehead:

Reports also indicate that the missing man's remains were found near the original dive site.

What is near??? 1 M or 50M or perhaps 1 or 2 km? It is relative.

No Cookies | Perth Now

The original dive location was near the southern junction of the Five Fathom Bank and Murray Reefs. I've not been that far south but have dived the regions to the north along these reef systems a lot over the years. For me the mystery is how the deceased diver could have evaded the careful search of an area close to the original dive location of a team of divers over a period of even one to two days.

I doubt the deceased was doing any evading! Currents and serge could have moved the remains under or out from under ledges. Not that easy to locate... have you ever conducted a search?

Unless the actual extent of injuries is much greater than is presently being indicated in the media, I'd expect the autopsy would determine if the deceased died from drowning or shark attack, the type of shark responsible for the attack and the approximate time of when the attack occurred.

Don't expect too much from the autopsy. :shakehead: after being in the water a while it can do a lot of damage and contaminate "evidence"

In any case it now seems police accept the deceased suffered a shark attack. I expect this was self evident from the start.

I'm not sure I am reading the information the same way. You may expect it was self evident from your perspective..perhaps your perspective is a little skewed:idk:

In the past Fisheries WA scientists have been able to confirm this within a few days of a fatal attack and identify the type of shark responsible for the attack without the need for an inquest.

The sad thing is this process will be a very long and hard one for the family. Other than ax grinding.. what can we learn from this? I don't hunt crays so I have no idea of the process. Do people hunting crays tend to scatter and everyone do their own thing or is there anything like a buddy process? Is the expectation that the Cray fishermen will be a group of solo divers?

Perhaps my lack of experience with underwater "hunting" will mean my questions here are stupid. Is it possible or recommended that the "hunters" have someone hovering above them and watching them to make sure they are ok?

Back
Top Bottom