Diver missing near Mandurah Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marine search and rescue are still out there - diver has been in the water some 11 - 12 hours now. Air search was suspended due to rain for several hours but I have heard they have been back out there in the last three hours. Currents today seemed fairly benign. Rain for the first time in 5 months has hampered search efforts. Hoping this diver is found safe.

Search has now been called off. Water police have searched for three days without any sign of this diver. Media report just said Police have not ruled out that the diver has been taken by a shark.......which leads to all sorts of questions regarding the drum lines. However this is not the thread for that would just like to say RIP to a fellow local diver and sympathies to his friends and family.

I see they were diving about 4 km offshore and depth of 10 meters near a mouth of a river /stream. Were they diving looking for sharks near the river mouth ? What did the buddies have to say ? Sad to see that a diver disappear in such shallow water near a river mouth. Condolences to his family and fellow divers.

No they were diving for crayfish..its a common place to find them. Very shallow - viz was bad that day and has been during the search. No word from his buddies on the boat or his family...just sad pictures of them sitting on the beach watching the search. Water police and search and rescue teams did everything they could.

It was on the news over here in Sydney last night. Sad.

Probably too late for a happy outcome. Prayers to the family and friends.

No they were diving for crayfish..its a common place to find them. Very shallow - viz was bad that day and has been during the search. No word from his buddies on the boat or his family...just sad pictures of them sitting on the beach watching the search. Water police and search and rescue teams did everything they could.

Sad to hear they have not found him yet. Diving for crayfish with such bad viz ? Also, diving in bad viz near a river mouth is seriously dangerous here by us. Lots of sharks around these areas. I would have thought a person would then rather end the dive ?
I am sorry for his friends & family. He was still in his prime .

How sad...at least for the family they will have an a body to lay to rest.

Autopsy should determine if the bites were post mortem. Jan, its a very commonly used spot for recreational fishing, diving and crabbing. Ive seen a juvenile white only a few hundred metres from where the maps have shown the boat was moored while they were diving - although the area is usually full of port jacksons and wobbegongs there are tigers and whites commonly sighted.

Bad viz is pretty common there, lots of boat traffic and a muddy estuary - they were on their second dive of the day. I can only speculate that after 5 months of no rain here the weather had finally turned and they may have thought lets get in a good days diving before it gets cold.

I guess its all speculation until the coroners report is released however...if it proves that he was taken by a shark then it will certainly lend weight to get those drum lines out of the water because they are supposed to be there to ''keep us safe''.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom