Diver missing in Pulau Sembilan off Lumut, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wern Yi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was doing a refresher a month ago. Heard from the dive shop owner cum dive master that a week ago, on that day he told me the story, that a local, retired ex-Navy personnel was lost on a dive trip at Pulau Sembilan, Malaysia. The story was related to him by another dive operator. Story goes something like this; he was not scheduled to dive on that particular trip but was on the dive boat. Decides that he wanted to join his buddies at the last minute, after the group had already gone into the water. Dons his leaky BC (which he thought he had just repaired with rubber glue) and the rest of his dive gear and hops into the water. Apparently looses a fin in his entry but continues to descent anyway and that was the last he was seen.
There was a police inquiry, they found the glue amongst his gear, decided that he was sniffing the stuff and that led to his death.
The dive guys strongly believed that he was actually trying to repair his own leaky BC but it was still leaking plus he lost his fin, got into difficulty and that contributed to his demise.
I guess the police inquiry absolved the dive operator off any responsibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom