Diver missing - Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very sad situation. One gripe I have about the dive industry is that they (IMO rightly) emphasize the buddy system but are, perhaps, somewhat casual in promoting training and systems that would make it more effective. In particular, widely used proximity sensors, I believe, are key to help reduce accidental deaths (when preventable). In water, and on the surface. Unless one dives with one's soul mate -- and both are super careful -- some separation during diving is common place. Add visibility issues, when something goes awry (e.g., out of air), the chance that a diver is left unto his own is significant. Yes, it's debatable whether a buddy would have been helpful in many situations (even with rescue diver training) -- and panic can put both divers at risk -- but if one is earnest about the import of the buddy system, just preaching to stay in contact/be vigilant is not enough. Technology-wise there are nontrivial challenges because surface communication techniques do not transfer under water readily. But it's probably not a deal breaker if there were a sense of urgency.

The only proximity sensors needed are your eyes. Stay next to your buddy and that's the end of the story. If you dive as buddies and break these basic rules, there will be a mystery instead of a simple rescue or at least an explanation to a death. This stuff happens over and over and over again and it's always the same question "where was the buddy?" there should never be a mystery to another divers disappearance or death. There is no technology solution to stupidity and lax techniques when the technique we are talking about is your eyes or if visibility is so low you can't see your buddy, then it becomes touch. Let's not make this more complicated than it is. If the surviving diver hadn't abandoned the other diver at the surface there would be no mystery to this story, and their might be 2 divers back on the boat. But if your buddy swims away from you on the surface like this one did, she basically left him to die alone.

This stuff happens over and over and over again and it's always the same question "where was the buddy?" there should never be a mystery to another divers disappearance or death.

Just a question - is it not a two way street? Both should be aware and checking. It can not be one sided - half the responsibility lies with the victim. In my opinion.

Just a question - is it not a two way street? Both should be aware and checking. It can not be one sided - half the responsibility lies with the victim. In my opinion.

I don't even know what you're referring to. How do you blame the victim for the other diver abandoning them?

The report is they both surfaced together, the survivor swam to the boat and never saw what happened to the victim. translation - surviving diver abandons victim, victim dies with no explanation. Question to the survivor -"where is your buddy" answer - " I don't know"

"I don't know" - case closed.

There is clear blame for the disappearance- that's on the buddy. There is only one person who had the responsibility to know and that's the survivor. That's cut and dry.Now whether the other diver could be alive right now, nobody will ever know cause nobody knows what happened cause the buddy abandoned the victim and has no information of what happened. Maybe there was no saving the victim, maybe all it would have taken is a simple "hey, are you okay?" and a grab of the victim as the victim's head went under, a rescue swim back to the boat with the victim, dropping their weights or filling a panic diver's BCD for them? Who knows? We could ask the buddy, but they have no answers cause they swam away.

Pretty judgmental there, Mike.

My ex used to disappear on me in a heartbeat. He's supposed to be following me, I turn around to check, and he's gone.

So, Where's my buddy? I don't know. According to you, it's my fault the ex didn't follow the dive plan. Really? :scorned:

I agree with Basking Ridge.

In some places this could be a murder case, just saying.

I would like to know what places so I know to only dive solo or avoid going there. If I happen to croak short of being left at sea or being run over in clear weather, it is entirely on me.

I like diving with people that we discuss the same plan. Normally my plan goes like this. A: dive plan and hand signals and what to do if we lose contact with each other i.e. we are going to go down how deep for how long. I then set my timex watch with its count down timer. B: Discuss air turn arounds ( I prefer to do rule of thirds) who ever gets to the turn around first is when we turn. C: experienced diver is in lead and me being new normally follows close to them to where in a couple strong kicks i can physically touch them to get their attention. D: my biggest rule is if you want to be dumb and go explore a wreck and we are not set up for it and dnt have the training for it then you can have fun I'm going to be going back to the surface.

Following a leader is not diving with a buddy. That's being led around by an invisible ring thru the nose. You can have an incident and they would never know. Proper buddy procedure is side by side with no more than a 1/4 turn of the head to see them. Or reach out and touch them. Depending on conditions I want my buddy to be within our extended arms reach if the vis is good. The worse it gets the closer we get. Buddy always lagging behind? Slow the hell down. Buddy occasionally lags behind? Stop and wait for them. Then on the surface interval tell them to stay close and if they want to slow down let you know.

But this is partly due to the way the buddy system is taught. Talked about then divers on their very first OW dives are led in a single file. Message - Screw the buddy system and don't be responsible for your part in the team. Let them lead, you follow, and all will be fine. Until it's not and you are dead.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2014 at 05:55 PM ----------

Pretty judgmental there, Mike.

My ex used to disappear on me in a heartbeat. He's supposed to be following me, I turn around to check, and he's gone.

So, Where's my buddy? I don't know. According to you, it's my fault the ex didn't follow the dive plan. Really? :scorned:

I agree with Basking Ridge.

Sorry but why is he following you? Going through a restriction where you can't swim side by side? Are you going too fast? Why isn't he beside you where a buddy is supposed to be and why aren't you keeping up with each other? If there is a separation the faster diver is partly at fault. The other shares 1/2 the blame for not letting the other know they were slowing down. But then the question is, why didn't you know they slowed down? Where is the awareness?

I appreciate the value of discussing accidents including potentials causes and ways in which the tragedy could have been avoided. I believe it can be a good learning tool, and I read these threads carefully...especially when there is some detailed evidence/knowledge of what happened prior and during the accident. I think they can help make me a better/safer diver. That said, I personally find the guessing and accusations that are often posted to be in incredibly poor taste. IMO they reflect a desire to find fault and assign blame...largely to distance oneself from the risks inherent in diving, in aging, and in living.

Diving is a sport of personal responsibility. Risks can be mitigated but they cannot be eliminated. To imply that his dive buddy (wife) may be responsible for his death without any evidence? Where does anyone get off? People have heart attacks. They have strokes. They get attacked by sharks and hit by boats. Assuming that every person in every situation could be saved by correct "buddy action" is (IMO) ridiculous.

I don't see where anyone said any such thing. What I see is people saying that if proper buddy procedures had been followed then there may not have needed to be a search. The person might still be dead but at least they would not be missing. Buddy procedures are just as important on the surface as under it. I know of several cases where the conditions were not choppy or bad in any way. Yet a diver got ahead of another and the other disappeared. Found later dead. We will never even know what happened because the coroners report says drowning. The buddy has to go through the rest of their life wondering if they had stayed next to the person would they have seen the distress. Or the attack. And if they could have made a difference. Quite likely they may not have. But speculating and laying blame may cause another to not repeat the mistakes others may have made. That for me is enough to say ok go for it.

Back
Top Bottom