Diver missing from Vandenberg Wreck in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if they found this guy in the wreck then the current wasn’t the problem. He didn’t get lost at sea after being blown off a line.

Well, if they found this guy in the wreck then the current wasn’t the problem. He didn’t get lost at sea after being blown off a line.
I don't see any mention that the missing diver was found in the wreck? Did I miss something?

Anyone know how many divers have now died on this wreck? Sounds like it is time to cut some more holes in the wreck to increase diver safety.

I don't see any mention that the missing diver was found in the wreck? Did I miss something?

Anyone know how many divers have now died on this wreck? Sounds like it is time to cut some more holes in the wreck to increase diver safety.
I had the first fatality from my boat.

Nothing to do with getting lost in the wreck, he had a heart attack on rebreather during training.

This is complete speculation on my part, but I have to wonder if the divers who venture over 100 feet deep in frigid Canadian waters have a little more training, more gear and take "the dive" a little more serious than tourists in 84 degree water wearing bathing suits.
Diving out of your experience is always dangerous.

If you are doing something for the first time, you should be careful. No matter what other training or experience you have.

he Duane which is my favorite wreck in FL is only available to dive 10% of the time due to current.
I would say that Duane is NOT diveable 10% of the time due to current.

Scooters? I don't think you are familiar with Fla diving. I have dove plenty of deep wrecks in FLA and would never consider using a scooter. In fact, I hate those things, they bring noise into an otherwise pretty peaceful world. Kicking is a lot quieter.
I have dove plenty of deep Fl wrecks (130-270’) and had a scooter on all of them.

I've dove plenty of deep Fl wrecks (130-270’) and had a scooter on all of them.
Smart, why swim when you can ride?

No I don't think so.

She is 20+ miles from Key West. When I ran to her it was a 30 minute run for me from Cudjoe Gardens Marina. She is directly off of Cudjoe Key, MM 21.
Thanks Jim (and Wookie). :cheers:

I went out there once back in the day with Billy D from KWD but got blown out and, and being the safety conscious gentleman that he was, he didnt want to risk diving her. Would have been my first 'warship' too. Oh well, win some, loose some. But never mind, I got my share, and them some (well more than some / my share) of warships, many virgin, :giggle: as the years went by, so can't complain.

Sounds like the Vandy and the Duane were sunk in areas of too much current.

Sounds like the Vandy and the Duane were sunk in areas of too much current.
Remember, they were sunk as artificial reefs for fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom